Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Engine Flush?

Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 99 Sonata

Just wondering if any of you have thought of this or have any ideas about it. When you use an engine flush product (Gunk, Seafoam, BG..etc.) before changing your oil, does enough of it remain in the engine to contaminate/dilute the new oil? I know the stuff works, but I've always been wondered..
Old 05-12-2010, 09:52 PM

Engine flush products are very strong. It is highly recommended to replace oil pump after one of these services, because your oil pump may get clogged due to sludge and what not.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:39 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^ WTF +1 reason to never take technical advice from you T.V.! Your FILTER! You replace the FILTER not the pump! Eyecrazy.gif

If you have a gallon of engine oil and add a pint of Gunk, then you have 8:1 oil to flush. Then drain 97% of the oil (random guesstimate) and you have 3% of 1 pint of Gunk. 14 cubic centimeters. Then add a gallon and a quart of oil (4731 cubic centimeters) and you are left with the Gunk making up about 0.003% of the stuff in your crank case. I don't sweat that too much, personally. The longer you let the oil drain after a flush, the better. Follow the directions that come on the bottle. Your engine will be fine, oil pump included.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

That second sentence is wrong Stocker. smile.gif You're already at .003% of a pint of gunk after you drain.
Old 05-12-2010, 10:59 PM

I dont know exactly how close you got with "your" calculations but am saying this based on personal experience owned.gif
We gotten a lot of claims and customers coming back complaining that their motors dont want to start and or seized etc...this is all to common on hondas. I dont remember another make that has had so many problems after an engine flush service. Not only that but is also not recommended on the manufacture's service manuel.
Old 05-12-2010, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

Or whatever. Spit in the ocean.
Old 05-13-2010, 07:20 AM

I agree with both of you, but I do recommend people remove their oil pan and clean it and the pump filter screen out if their engine has a lot of mileage. Also DO NOT drive the car with engine flush in it. The flush destroys the oils lubricating properties so the engine will not get adequate lubrication at anything above idle.
Old 05-13-2010, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

dmdicks explains T.V.'s post perfectly. Dumbasses who don't follow directions will kill their engines with a flush. Maybe more Hondas have that problem because more people have hondas?

BTW *THAT* is why it's not a recommended service. Not that it's not beneficial, but that it's potentially fatal to the engine if the (l)user screws it up.

"my" calculations were with the Windows built in calculator, and are as scientific as you care to believe in them. I believe the point was made adequately.
Old 05-13-2010, 10:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I've done flushes about every 3rd or 4th oil change on all my vehicles with no ill effects. Follow the directions as stated above. I do however go one step further and get a few quarts of cheap oil and run in the engine after the flush, drain that, then put synthetic or synthetic blend in, depending on which vehicle is getting changed.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:14 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Tony Vendetta @ May 13 2010, 12:59 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I dont know exactly how close you got with "your" calculations but am saying this based on personal experience owned.gif
We gotten a lot of claims and customers coming back complaining that their motors dont want to start and or seized etc...this is all to common on hondas. I dont remember another make that has had so many problems after an engine flush service. Not only that but is also not recommended on the manufacture's service manuel.</div>

good thing i have a hyundai and not a honda.