Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Engine Bogging Down

Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Iridiums suck for the price... good old $2.50 coppers will do the job just as well, last half as long, and are 500% cheaper.</div>

yeah, but you can't run them as hot. you should not need to replace plugs very often AT ALL, unless there is something fouling them (maybe a little blow-by?) this was the case with my tib, copper plugs would go out after about 2 months (i tried 2 sets before going with performance plugs), im going on like 4-5 now with my iridiums and no problems yet, i guess time will still tell..i just have a better feeling on these.
anyways, try www.clubplug.net they have wire sets + 4 iridium plugs you can get them for about $50 shipped i think. or else try ebay.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:40 PM

I replaced the plugs and wires today. Got NGK V-Powers and some AutoLite Pro Series plug wires. As far as I can tell it solved the problem. The old plugs looked in really good condition, no fouling or anything. I checked their gaps and they were a bit wide, that might have been the problem.

And I don't know what all the fuss is about iridium plugs anyways, the good old coppers have always worked great no matter what the application.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:45 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (nihildark)</div><div class='quotemain'>the good old coppers have always worked great no matter what the application.</div>

true, true...
except nitrous

glad to see you fixed problem. It was pretty obvious. I just experience a similar embarrassing easy fix. My lifters were ticking like CRAZY and I though my car was getting old on me (106,000 miles on it) and kept thinking I wsa going to have to tear head apart and replace lifters or something. Couple days later, I checked my oil and saw the problem...changed oil = problem solved. Sometimes you gotta take a step back and assess the situation.

I wish zoned19's problem was an easy as a fix as this.
Old 02-24-2005, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Coppers work fine in high power apps too... nitrous/turbo/etc. The only benefit the higher dollar plugs have over copper is longer life. I personally don't mind changing out my plugs every 8kish-10kish miles for the best performance. Copper is just cheap and great. tongue.gif
Old 02-27-2005, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Patreezy)</div><div class='quotemain'>...
I wish zoned19's problem was an easy as a fix as this.</div>
no crap!
http://www.rdtiburon.com/forum/showthread....86620#post86620
the car still isn't running... :-(
judging by the lack of replies, i'm guessing everyone's out of ideas? :tear: