Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Engine Bogging Down

Old 02-22-2005, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Bogging Down

Strange problem. Here's the situation. 2001 Tib, Auto, only mod is I removed the air duct and resonator. I'm sitting at a stop light, in drive, foot on the brake, car's running fine. Light turns green and I press the gas peddle and then my engine bogs down like it's going to die, sputters, then takes off like normal. It doesn't do this all the time, but it happens like 3 out of 5 times. It only does this when I'm taking off from a stop and I'm not hot rodding it or anything.

Normally I wouldn't be too concerned but I'm about to drive to Salt Lake City for a few days and that's like a 9 hour drive. The last thing I need is my car breaking down hundreds of miles from home.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Check the airflow direction arrow on your MAF. it should be pointing towards the back passenger side/towards the TB.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

You might want to swap out the plugs for new ones. I just had a similar problem with my 01 and that cleared it right up. It's a cheap fix and does'nt take long at all. smile.gif
Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 AM

Is you IAT sensor still connected or is that just hung in your bay?
Old 02-23-2005, 04:26 PM

Sorry for the delay guys.

MAF sensor was never touched, it still faces the right direction.
I suspected the spark plugs from the start, but I don't have a grippy spark plug socket nor a magnet to pull them would with. But I'm working on that.
And I never had to remove the air box/filter box so the sensor is still in place.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 02-23-2005, 07:38 PM

Just and FYI, plugs and wire *should" be checked around 40k's or so, how many miles / kilometers do you have?
But yeah, plugs and take a look at your wires, if you see like a "white arc" on them (the end where it goes into your engine and connects to your plugs), its time to replace them
Old 02-23-2005, 07:43 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

just get new plugs/wires anyways..can't hurt.
plus i'm sure (almost positive) that your problem is your spark plugs. whenever you take off from a stop it seems like you "get stuck" for a few seconds? same exact thing happened to me, it's definitely the plugs. fork out the $40 and get some NGK iridiums and a wire set, you won't need to replace plugs for a long time, the NGK's will burn off most of the bad stuff that a normal spark plug would foul on.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:15 PM

I've got 56k miles, and from the maintence I've done on it I can tell the preivous owner (I suspect a lease return) didn't do crap for maintence.

I'll get the spark plugs changed tomorrow and maybe if I can get a good deal, the wires too. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Iridiums suck for the price... good old $2.50 coppers will do the job just as well, last half as long, and are 500% cheaper.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:21 PM

if geting to plugs don't fix it then, check your FPR.. lot of times if a car boggs down, and acts like it going to die, that might be it..