Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Dyno woes from my Tib

Old 09-06-2002, 12:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno woes from my Tib

Hey Random, Red, Cheuk. You guys probably have been following my posts about my hp feelin a little low on the high end latley and that i changed my plugs to NGK's, etc. Well, i dynoed my car and well, my engine's not dying BUT, i only gained 3 hp and my peak tq stayed the same.(for those who don't know, i drive a 1.8 BETA w/5-speed)

3 FREAKIN HP? WTF? My 1st dyno on Jan.10, 2002 yielded 113.5hp and 105.5tq. All i had was a intake (filter sits under battery area) and a dual dtm muffler. I also had 17" rims (axis touring cups 33lbs w/tire) a bad alignement and a bad clutch. okay, so 8 months later i'm back with a SR 4-2-1 header, carsound hi-flow cat, 2.25" exhaust, same muffler, clutchmasters stage1 clutch, corrected alignment, 17" rims again (Nakayama Racing GT5 33lbs w/tire), and new NGK v-power plugs.

Okay, i was expecting at least 120 whp and definitley ALOT more tq. but no, i dynoed 116.6hp and 105 tq. WHAT THE FREAKIN @#$@!???!

I wish i could post the printout, but i don't have a scanner nor a dig. camera. I mean the power delievery is smoother (probably due to the corrected alignment and better clutch) and yes the whole curve is pretty much bumped up (albiet only 3 hp) excpet between 4.5k and 5.3k where i actually lost some midrange (only like 1 hp though). This dyno looks like gains from a better flowing air filter or something. NOT from a car that had a FULL EXHAUST. WTF?????!!? I don't know what's wrong. Every since like 3 weeks ago it just seems like my car LOST some power. But there aren't any spikes, dips or drop offs on my dyno run. It just looks like i slapped on a K&N filter or something.

[ September 06, 2002, 07:48 AM: Message edited by: Koreandude ]
Old 09-06-2002, 01:01 AM

How many mile does your car have on it? You have changed th plugs but have you ever changed the wires. I would run the regular gambit of normal maintence.
Also could you tell us the enviormental differences between the two dyno runs. Such as air temp and humidity? Did you use the same dyon as before?
Old 09-06-2002, 01:18 AM
Red

One word: fuel.

Two more words: too much.

The more parts you bolt on, the more whacked the ECU gets on it's stock fuel delivery. Your next purchase should be an S-AFC.

You have a very similar setup to what I had on my first dyno run eeeeeons ago. My 2.0L had intake, bbtb, intake cam, HVE header, full exhaust and 17 inch rims. It dynoed like 127whp and I was pissed.

After getting the fuel dialed in correctly with my S-AFC, I netted around 135whp. Eight horsepower for one hour on the dyno -- not bad. Best part was, torque went up across ALL RPM points, so the car accelerated much better through all RPM's.

We ended up needing to take 17% of the fuel delivery out at like 6000 thru redline to get it correct.
Old 09-06-2002, 01:42 AM

Well, guys, yeah i did take it to the same dyno and acutally the weather characteristics were very similar. I have 101k and some change in miles on my tib. No smoke, very smooth idle, and it runs great. I always thought (and felt) more power was pumpin from my engine prior to 3 weeks ago. What happened was i had backed my muffler into a concrete parking block that was REALLY tall. My muffler is fine (as far as i can tell) but my exhaust broke. It broke across a weld after the 2nd resonator so that's why i went and got 2.25" to replace the whole thing. I don't think anything messed up on my header (i hope). I still have the origianl wires and coil pack AND fuel filter.... well i guess that's not a big deal if i'm getting too much fuel anyways.....

And Red, your PO'ed from 127 whp? That's what i was hoping for..........did you post your dyno of 3 runs on the internet? 1 baseline and 2 Nitrous runs? I printed a dyno run like that.. it may be yours! The 1st run was 125.9hp 118.3tq, 2nd was 185hp 191tq, 3rd was 184.3hp and 200.5tq.

Maybe it's just the fact i have a damn 1.8l. arggggggg. Any1 selling their SAFC? frown
Old 09-06-2002, 01:51 AM

that was my dyno buddy

tongue.gif
im the 200 torque man
lol
Well not anymore.... that engine is gone now frown
Old 09-06-2002, 02:17 AM

yeah yeah! I printed that yesterday. I was hoping for figues similar to that. what else did you have done to your car besides what was typed on the sheet? FYI, i have a Intake (3" mandrel tubing goes down under the battery by the bottom radiator hose), SR 4-2-1 header, NGK v-power plugs, Clutchmasters stage 1, 2.25" exhaust (press bent) w/ dual chamber glasspack (way to damn loud w/o it) dual dtm muffler, carsound hi-flow cat (2.25"), i guess you could say i have the GT intake cam since i have a 1.8l but you know, that's stock. Everything else is stock.
Old 09-11-2002, 09:00 AM

well

you need nitrous man... lol

I just had a full 2.5 exhaust, CAI, and 4-1 HVE ceramic coated headers

My engine also has ring damage...

I got high HP due to the nitrous

A 75 works wonders....
Old 09-11-2002, 11:11 AM

At 101K and change miles... that is not bad. Never expect as much gain from an engine that is getting long in the tooth.

Most of your gains are probably from the intake anyways... exhaust gains are always less than expected.. unless your running a turbo smile.gif

Enjoy what you have... budget for a new engine / car in the next couple of years. How many miles are these engines good for? If you have already budgeted for a new engine... you could spray nitrous and have more fun until you have to swap out.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:37 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>Red:
One word: fuel.

After getting the fuel dialed in correctly with my S-AFC, I netted around 135whp. Eight horsepower for one hour on the dyno -- not bad. Best part was, torque went up across ALL RPM points, so the car accelerated much better through all RPM's.

We ended up needing to take 17% of the fuel delivery out at like 6000 thru redline to get it correct.</div>Red - does that mean if I were to purchase the SAFC I would have to Dyno my car or is there a universal setting for our car we can use without Dynoing our cars. I'm not that knowledgeable on this issue.