Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Dynapack dyno question

Old 11-23-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 tibby
Default Dynapack dyno question

A Dynapack dyno in particular uses a hydraulic pump attached to each wheel. Restricting the outlet on the pump turns it into a brake, and measuring the pressure the pump builds up turns out to be an accurate measurement of how much torque the engine is exerting to turn the pump. The amount of restriction at the outlet of the pump controls the rate of rpm increase and the length of time it takes for you to hit redline, not your horsepower.

My question is with a brake applied to the drivetrain (dynoing on a Dynapack), would mods like a lightened flywheel or under drive pulley show an increase in power?

I don't think the dyno would show the increase as the engine is being mechanically bogged, I guess you could say, to measure the hp so the effects of any lightening shouldn't be noticeable. The engine is turning at its full capacity but not accelerating at it full capacity making the lightening of components almost impossible to see. Am I right in thinking this?