Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Drilling A Tensioner Pulley

Old 06-18-2006, 08:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

Well, if you don't already know, ...don't ask

All you need to know is the situation i face needs a new, LARGER bolt for the tensioner pulley specifically an 11 rather than the stock 10. I got a 7/16's bolt simply because it doesn't matter if I go metric or not.. I am rethreading (and re-drilling) the hole in the head that the tensioner bolt goes into, so i get to decide. :devil:

I got a 7/16 - 20 bolt. The 3/8's and 25/64 drill bits I used fit through the tensioner pulley hole but the threads on the new 7/16's bolt will not allow a clean passage through the tensioner pulley.

Basically i need to drill out the hole in the tensioner pulley a teeny bit bigger. I need to fit a 7/16's bolt (approx. 11mm) through the hole which was made for a 10mm bolt.

Anyone know an easy way to drill that hole out? Conventional drilling gets me no where fast, it's some strong metal..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:07 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

now what did you do there spart guy....
Old 06-18-2006, 09:10 PM

doode, trust me.. it's the only way

how the hell am i gonna drill this tensioner pulley bolt hole bigger?

just a smidget..
Old 06-18-2006, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 1992 Honda Accord EX

Just a smidget....riiiiight. Have another tensioner on order just in case.

Also, try a vise to hold it in place and get the strongest bit you can find.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

drill press while making sure the tensioner is secure.

or you could dremel the thing out some.
Old 06-18-2006, 09:34 PM

you can't have easy problems can you?
Old 06-18-2006, 09:46 PM

nope, I wonder if trying to use the tap to create threads through the tensioner pulley would work. Doubtful, if the drill bit won't bite I'm sure the teeth on the tap won't.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:45 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

haha your funny if i cant ask how will i know?

well dude the head is alluminum easy to drill but before you do that get a tap. if that doesnt work there are thread insert kits you can try. if that doesnt work you drill like you said but remember drill bits only cut on the tip. try to do your way last because its a last step final step last action. if you need more help just call me
Old 06-18-2006, 11:47 PM

Leave the pulley alone and put a helicoil in the head, it will be alot stronger and you'll never have to worry about it again.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:43 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>haha your funny if i cant ask how will i know?</div>

You know all you need to know, LOL.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>well dude the head is alluminum easy to drill but before you do that get a tap.</div>

It's easy to drill OUTSIDE of the vehicle. To get it out I'd need a special cylinder head bolt tool, new head gasket, new intake manifold gasket, new exhaust manifold gasket, new this, blah blah..

Right now the motor mount mount (yes, the mount FOR the motor mount, LOL)is in the way to drill, you gotta do everything my hand..

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>if that doesnt work there are thread insert kits you can try.</div>

Helicoils they are called, the guy below you so graciously suggested them as well, I never knew they even existed. i just looked them up and that is EXACTLY what i need. Too bad I didn't know what they were 5 days ago, ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>if that doesnt work you drill like you said but remember drill bits only cut on the tip. try to do your way last because its a last step final step last action. if you need more help just call me</div>
i noticed, so i switched to trying to dremel the insides of the hole wider..
I have a spare tensioner (brand new) so no biggie if this one cracks under pressure or anything..

But all that is nay say, because my man MaxxTib who just posted may have saved my life. I can't believe I've never been introduced to helicoils...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MaxxTib)</div><div class='quotemain'>Leave the pulley alone and put a helicoil in the head, it will be alot stronger and you'll never have to worry about it again.</div>

i just hope they make one small enough for a 10 1.25 bolt. Woohoo, off to the harware store again.

I just hope..