Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Done A Couple Of Things Today And Had A Q Or 2

Old 04-24-2007, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Hola peeps.

Today I was off work and bored, so figured it was time to do some engine work.

So, I went to Advance and got some new NGK plat plugs (at the princely sum of about $3 each) and decided to remove cone filter and put on the AEM knockoff one I got with the intake that arrived squished.

Old filter was pretty dirty likes but I kept it 'cos Im sure itll clean up, and the car starts alot better now..

OK, so my question/s.

The plugs I replaced are the same, I used the same NGKs last year (love em) and they seemed to have worn about 1/2 way.. How often are you sposed to change these suckers? I heard somewhere they don't last too long, I would say I did about 10k miles on them in a year.

And how often should I replace/clean cone filters?

Thanks smile.gif
Old 04-24-2007, 03:24 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I don't know about everyone else or even what is recommended but I change my plugs once a year and clean/replace my CAI filter every other oil change.
Old 04-24-2007, 03:28 PM

Sweet, thanks for that... I would clean the filter more often but I have to remove the battery and tray to get to it.
Old 04-24-2007, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^ Guys that have an AEM have to remove the driver's side wheel + fender liner.

I reccomend the AEM dry flow, its a paper filter that you wash with water, and it outflows the oil filters. Plus, I wouldn't want any of that oil to build up in my MAF from the oiled air filters.

You shouldn't need to change plugs once a year ... if your plugs give you hesitation after only 1 year of use, either you drive WAY too damn much, or you've got some issues. With my blue tib, I would go through the copper plugs in like a month. I replaced them with the NGK 4 Platinums, which were like $8 a piece I think, and its been running on those for about 4 years now, no hesitations or problems. Sometimes you may have a slight case of blow by or something and changing to a different plug will just burn the stuff off and you won't have those problems any more.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

I have an AEM and all I do is unscrew the 3? screws in that small part of the wheel well in front of the tire from underneath and BAM the filter is there. Just pull down the fender liner a little bit. It's much quicker than taking off the tire.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:03 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

I replace my plugs at every oil change. I use the NGK coppers, so it is not too expensive. Zoned, does that dryflow come in 4" intake size? Do you have a part number?
Old 04-24-2007, 05:35 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

As of last year sometime all new AEM intakes come with it. I'm sure if you check on their site they have universal ones as well.
Old 04-24-2007, 08:59 PM

I used to run standard plugs. The day I changed that to Platinums I also did the CAI and the Magstar wires, and noticed HUGE power gains.

Thus I think I will stick with the platinums I use.. I will probably change them every other oil change as TBH the ones I had on there for a year (and 10k miles) were at least half way gone... And I have noticed my car is running alot better today, but that could be because I did my first ECU reset in a year also and have been out thundering smile.gif

Infact I just walked in from a 150 mile drive, what fum laugh.gif

I did one of those trans treatments the other day and have noticed that my trans is shifting alot quicker and more precisely, although again that could be down to the ECU reset and thrash.

Either way the tib is purring, and I have 120 miles to go before hitting the big 100 smile.gif