Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Do BETA engines consume oil?

Old 07-22-2002, 01:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do BETA engines consume oil?

Hey people. I've had my '97 tib for about 8 months and bought it with 84k on to odometer. I've done a lot of oil changes since then and so far i've logged my milage to 98k (yea i like to show off my tib )engine runs really strong and smooth but i've noticed my car has been consuming about a 1/2 quart of oil by the time i've travled 3k after an oil change. No leaks, no blue smoke. I do drive it hard spending time in the upper RPM range a lot (just toooo much fun! ). Is it normal for BETA's to do this?

oh yeah, my friends tell me every now and then when i'm WOT i get a little carbon poof out of my exhaust when i drop into gear but i'm pretty sure that's normal right?

Rich.
Old 07-22-2002, 08:11 PM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Do a compression test and see if your rings need changing. If the previous owner drove the car like you do dude you're gonna need a rebuild. It could be your valve stem seals too.

Wait till your car is in the cold condition(like in the morning after you wake up)and open the radiator cap. Check to see if the coolant has oil floating around in it. If it does man you're propably gonna need a new gasket. Check in the throttle body and see if there's oil in there. If so you're gonna need a new PCV valve.

Those are for starters. Good luck man! smile.gif
Old 07-22-2002, 10:00 PM

That sounds about right. I used to burn 1/2 qt per oil change. I tried a lot to fix it (short of new rings), but nothing worked. Just keep tabs on the levels and if it starts burning more, be sure to check for actual leaks.

I know other people have this problem (Red, Random, Chris H, Onpol, et al), and it seems to be a function of type (synth or reg), weight, and driving style. Synthetics or lighter regulars driven hard seem to have the worst consumption problems.

Since I don't reach danger levels and change my oil religiously, I have stopped worrying about it. I'm installing a breather-filter/catch-can soon, so I guess we'll see if the oil collects off the breather, which would explain part of the losses.

good luck,
ac
Old 07-23-2002, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

It is considered *normal* for an engine to loose up to 1 quart per 1000 miles. If you are only loosing .5 quart per 3000 miles, I'd be one hell of a happy camper. That's more like oil evaporation rather than oil loss!

The more time you spend in the high RPM, the more oil you will *lose*. At high RPM the upper crankcase is pressurized, and air and oil vapor/droplets are sucked out the valvecover breather hose into the intake elbow.

No need to block this off, or replace it with a filter, it functions 100% fine just the way it is.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:15 AM

Since replacing the short block on my car it doesn't use any oil. I have about 5k miles on my oil right now and it's right smack dab on the F of the dipstick, just as when I changed it.

The block has about 35k miles on it.
Old 07-23-2002, 01:51 AM

Chris what did you drop into it?
Old 07-23-2002, 10:10 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Random:
At high RPM the upper crankcase is pressurized, and air and oil vapor/droplets are sucked out the valvecover breather hose into the intake elbow.</div>Thanks Random. Since i wasn't leaking, i was almost positive it was evap. since i'm always in the upper rpm range. I have one more to throw at ya.

You said that at high RPM the upper crankcase is pressurized and that oil droplets are being recirculated back into the intake. does this explain the slight poof or discolored exhaust pulse when i (and many other cars in good health) downshift hard at WOT? It sounds logical or maybe i'm way off. What do you think?

Rich.