Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Did My First "mod"

Old 05-06-2005, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok well I read a bunch of posts and figured I'd try the DIY for removing the air duct and resonator. This was the first time I had done anything on any car, ever. It took me like 45 minutes only because my garage is a mess and I couldn't find the right tools, but I still got the job done. I couldn't get the bottom resonator out though cause of my lack of tools and also the battery is in the way. Is there an easier way to get that out??? Is it a problem if I leave it there, cause it's not doing anything without the air duct in there.

On the bright side though I definitely noticed a difference. It's not huge but a lot more than I expected. The throttle response is a lot better and the car actually seems a little quicker. Also it finally has that "nice car sound." I cant wait to get a CAI now, but I gotta save up cause I'm short on cash.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:43 PM

Nice job man. You can take out the battery to make more room to take out the rest of the resonator.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Ebay for the CAI. Save some money. Just put and K&N filter on it.
Old 05-06-2005, 01:41 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Hyundai Sonata GL V6

Leaving the lower resonator box in won't hurt anything but you should be able to get it out without removing the battery. You just have to be patient in working on the couple of bolts where there is not much room to get at them. Or try it from the bottom or the side. I can't remember exactly but I know I got it out without touching the battery.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Vehicle: 2015 Subaru WRX

Congrats on your first 'mod'!! laugh.gif Take the bolt out that is in the pan right in from of the battery so you can take the battery out. Then the bolt to get rid of the lower resonator is easier to get at. wink1.gif

So, you want a cold air intake? raehtz10 is right, go to Ebay mang. Lots of stuff, really cheap! Just be careful of the auctioneer, read their feedbacks... some aren't very trustworthy. We have a list of a few people that are good to use and some that are best stayed away from, here is a link: http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=7023 . (I just gave some info, I didn't know if you knew this stuff or not smile.gif so I hope that I don't think that I'm talking down to you or anything.)

Now that you've been bitten by the bug... lol Keep us informed of your newest and latest modding 'adventures'! don't hesitate to ask us anything either! Its what most of us are here for.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:14 PM

Congrats on your first mod! Keep an eye out on the for sale section, sometimes you'll find an AEM for a good price.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I don't understand how anyone has a problem getting the bottom one out. I didn't even take my battery out. Just reach under it, find the bolt/nut, I don't remember what is there, and use a ratchet or open end wrench to get it out. THen push the resonator out, UNDER the car.
Old 05-06-2005, 03:27 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

I undid half of the under gaurd thing and forced it out with a hammer and screw driver (dont do that) had to take the metal piece out later when I put the CAI in, took me a while to figure out why it wouldnt go right down.
Old 05-06-2005, 05:43 PM

The only reason I didn't bother witht he bottom resonator is because I didn't have the right tools, I was basically using a wrong sized wrench and pliers (hands hurt a lot after, lol). So are you saying I should put a filter in the hole that is left from taking the air duct out? I wont be getting a CAI for at least a month so I probably shouldn't leave the hole just open. What's a good cheap filter to put in it for now?

Also I was reading on the forum and people were saying to reset the ECU. Do I need to do this? Is it easy?

Thanks for the advice on everything. laugh.gif
Old 05-06-2005, 06:04 PM

::Sniffs:: I love it when they take their first baby steps....

Seriously, good first mod, now keep them coming.