Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Defroster - A/c

Old 12-12-2007, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well now that winter's here, we all know that we should turn on the defroster with heat on to get all that fog/ice off the window right? what i don't get is everytime we turn it on to either 'floor/defroster' or 'defroster' setting, the A/C light comes on, plus the heat is not that hot as any other setting, well there is some heat, but when we turn it to head/floor, etc othan the defroster, the A/C light comes off, and the heat is even hotter.

is all rd2's like that, or is that my car having some, maybe wiring problem? HELP i'd like the ice off my window sometime !today! lol
Old 12-12-2007, 12:33 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Turbulence

Mine does that too. When people ask I say, "No, it doesn't mean the AC is on, it means that the high compression big output AC motor is primed and ready if you want to use it."
Everyone buys it.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:38 AM

lol, well that is funny, lol but anyways, it's just that it'd be real nice if my new car can get the ice off as fast as my previous cars did ya know wat i mean!?!? lol
Old 12-12-2007, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I'm pretty sure most if not all cars with a/c do this, which is why people say dont drive with the car in defrost mode as it will waste gas powering the A/C pump
Old 12-12-2007, 04:45 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

The RD2 does this because they figured out it makes the defrost work better.

A/C pulls moisture out of the air. It is collected on the evaporator coils, then drips from the firewall on the right side of the car. Warm air is expanded and has more room for moisture because it's basically got more holes for H<sub>2</sub>O molecules. But, less moisture in the air = less H<sub>2</sub>O saturation and more of a vacuum effect against moisture. Dry air is more important then warm air because even though you can expand the air and excite it, it's still saturated once it cools back down and will form droplets.

Turning on the defrost will also turn off Recirculate air so it's not just dryer air, but it's dryer, fresh air which you have not breathed in. It all makes the defroster work quicker.
Old 12-12-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

DTN's right - turning on the Defrost activates the A/C condenser, pulling the moisture out of the air to help draw the moisture off the windshield.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

First off, it's a DEFOGGER, not a defroster.

A defroster requires a metal element in the window to heat it up, like on the REAR WINDOW.

Foxxy, so yes...

All RD2's is like that.
Old 12-12-2007, 11:42 AM

and RD1s are not
Old 12-13-2007, 12:49 AM

yay, just as i was hoping for, i learned something new today!!!! ok it makes sense to me now, but however, i read it outloud to my boyfriend, and seems like he's having a little issue. his problem is that with the defroster (ok redz, defogger) it basically meant that this car is made for the summer, and we'll have to deal with gettin the ice off the window longer while waiting in the car.
so ok here's a new question,: is there a way/setting i could change to that would help better? in other word while we're working, like 15, 20 minutes before the end of our shift, we start the car, and after shift, we get out to my car, the ice will be gone already, so we dont have to wait very long for the ice to go away?

i know my question is not grammically correct, or makes any sense, but i'm sick of changin it every time i re-read it, and please bear with me. lol sorry!
Old 12-13-2007, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Easiest way to get it done quick.

1. Start car.
2. Turn OFF the blower.
3. Turn ON the rear window defroster.
4. Turn the heat knob to full heat and the direction knob to face and feet.
5. Let car run for 2 minutes, or until the engine temp gauge begins to move.
6. Turn it on full blast, leave the car.

When you come back in about 5 minutes or so, it should be mostly gone, or easily removed. The full heat to the face and feet (you COULD just do face too) will warm up your windows the quickest, but be prepared to go to DEFOGGER mode on your way home.