Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cruise Control

Old 11-28-2007, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at a 1999 Base Tib, same dark forest green as my old car.. but unlike mine, it does not come with cruise.. I have seen the stalks and the computer module for it on ebay, but does anybody have a clue how hard it would be to retrofit it?

I love my cruise, I would never want a car without it again.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

i cant see it being that difficult. Obviously, you would have to route the second cruise cable, new throttle body, install the module, etc. You would have to wire in the buttons, but I'm sure it would be easily doable.
It was rumored that cruise was controlled by the ECU. That is false - I looked over the wiring for the ECU.
Old 11-28-2007, 07:05 PM

oh, I know it has it's own module.. what I am wondering.. so much of the RD1 is already prewired for options (unlike the RD2) I wonder if all the wiring is already there or not?
Old 11-28-2007, 07:09 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

Gotcha. Mine has cruise, so I wouldn't know. Even if the wiring is not there though, it would just be a matter of running like 4 wires through the firewall.
Old 11-28-2007, 08:12 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

the right hand controls off of the steering wheel would have to be relaced. non-cruise tibs do not have a button at the tip of it to activate cruise control where-as cruise tibs do....

unless of course you made a different button (if that is possible).
Old 11-28-2007, 08:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

My brother just got an 'aftermarket' one for his Forester, and after a lot of tweaking it works really well. It hooks up in the engine bay and controls from there. It's pretty accurate and works well.
He had it 'professionally installed' but still had to tweak the settings for it to work right, but I think it would be pretty doable for you. It involved splicing wires a little bit and a few other small things, but was definitely easier than trying to do any sort of piggyback or something...