Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Couple Of Exhaust ?'s

Old 04-08-2005, 06:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead @ Apr 8 2005, 10:41 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Resonators are eliminated in cat-backs... 99% of people don't have them one they get an aftermarket exhaust system.

The exhaust leak you have is contributing to the crappy obnoxious sound. Having the test pipe and crappy muffler isn't helping either.

Most straight-through mufflers are going to sound horrible. Mine is sort of a compromise... its not straight through, but its small.

Go with the 2.25" piping to a decent muffler (Apexi N1, Magnaflow (I like em...)) and see if the sound persists. If it does, then a glasspack will eliminate all your problems. laugh.gif
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

So how should my cat-back exhaust system go then. Starting from the headers, which are stock by the way ( for now ).
Old 04-08-2005, 06:46 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Magnaflow makes them too. With 02 bungs in place. Bought one awhile back on ebay.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:52 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

yeah ebay has some from catco i believe, but not magnaflow. I might be wrong.

hamhead, i found a few places from the yellowpages, however, can they mandrel bend the pipes? and meinke does mandrel bend but i don't think they can do custom exhausts, can they? do they also use stainless steel?
Old 04-08-2005, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Of course Meinke can do custom exhausts, why would they have a mandrel-bender then? LOL. You can specify the material you want in most cased... most of the time its either mild steel or stainless steel.

Mild steel
- Cheaper
- Weighs Less
- Lasts shorter time (~4 years)
- Doesn't keep in heat as well

Stainless steel
- More expensive
- Weighs more
- Lasts longer time (~ longer than your car will run)
- Keeps in heat well

Depends on the shop, the only way to find out is call and ask. 2.25" mandrel is a fairly common machine... although still expensive. It depends on whether or not the shop thinks that the price they pay for the bender is going to be repaid plus more from doing work for customers. FYI, 2.5" mandrel benders cost around $1,000,000. Thats a lot of exhaust work.

For my 3" mandrel bent exhaust the nearest shop to me was Michigan. tongue.gif I believe there are only three or so 3" mandrel benders in Japan... gives you a little idea of how rare some of these higher priced machines are.
Old 04-08-2005, 10:25 PM

Cow hamhead, thanks!!! lol.gif

although i'm guessing that you could just get mild steel and send it to jet-hot! haha... i wouldn't mind since we have a permanent 15% discount.

well... i found a shop in my area. first i'm going to go to both and see how much they charge. i will see if they have mandrel bending.

wish me luck!!
Old 04-08-2005, 11:04 PM

Am I gonna notice a difference in a high-flow cat as apposed to the regular one that Meineke would put on? I was talking to one of the guys there and he said that the only people that notice a difference are the people with the big V8s or people with boost. He said that 4 cylinders shouldn't notice any difference. Is that true. I kinda makes sense, but who knows.

Oh, does anyone know what diameter the pipe is on an rd1 SSA header ? I want to get a cat to bolt up there in place of the stupid test pipe, but I don't remember. I think its 2.25.

I think what I might do is just have them bolt up a cat there and keep the rest of my old system for right now ( but have them fix the hole ) and spend the rest of my $ on an aem cai.
Old 04-08-2005, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

It'll be a slight difference. Very slight... probably would just barely be able to feel it. On the othern ote, I'm fairly sure its 2.25.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:27 AM

let's just say the more power you have, the more airflow the exhaust has. in other words, the exhaust feeds off of power. the more you give it, the more it gives you.

my friend's stock accord with an exhaust was considerably better than it was. the gains are really just like a bone stock cold air intake power increase. the trick is, put two and two together, you get more power. throw in a BBTB, an airram, and headers, your exhaust will give you more power than the cat restricts. so it's worth it if you're willing to throw in a cupple of n/a additions.

if you compare your stock exhaust to a 2.25'+side by side, you'd be able to nod your head.
Old 04-09-2005, 06:44 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (badazztiby @ Apr 9 2005, 05:04 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Am I gonna notice a difference in a high-flow cat as apposed to the regular one that Meineke would put on?

Oh, does anyone know what diameter the pipe is on an rd1 SSA header ? I want to get a cat to bolt up there in place of the stupid test pipe, but I don't remember. I think its 2.25.

<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

I would buy the cat from ebay if I were you. If you get one from Meineke, they will probably charge you extra and there are some good cheap cats on ebay. I bought a brand new carsound cat for $30.

The diameter of the SSA header flex pipe is 2.25.