Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Couple Of Exhaust ?'s

Old 04-08-2005, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys. I'm a brand new member here, and let me tell you, THIS SITE IS FREAKIN AWESOME !!

Anyway, I have some questions. I recently put on an SSA header. I like the header so far, but I hate the way my exhaust sounds. Its insane loud and it farts like a rice honda.

I was thinking about taking it to Meineke, ( they are the only place in town with a mandrel bender) and seeing if they can make me a 2.25 section from the header back. I want to put a cat in there somewhere since I never put one back on and I'm tired of my car smoking.

So here's the questions. Am I stupid for doing this? Is there something else that will help?

Here is my basic setup. I have the ssa header and downpipe which the output is 2.25 I believe. So I had to put a reducer on that to connect it to my stock 2" system. Then the stock system has a reverse reducer thing that goes up to 2.25 to go into my muffler. I know I am going to get hassled about my muffler so I will just get it over with. I have a Powertone rice muffler. But hey until I got my header, it sounded great.

So if I get all the reducer crap taken out and replaced with mandrel bent 2.25 with a cat in there, do you think that will help the sound at all? Or should I try to fit a glass pack or resonator in there somewhere too? I am working with a budget obviously, so please keep that in mind. Oh one last thing. There is a leak in one of the welds on the first reducer so I dont know if that would effect the sound at all too.

Let me know what you guys think. Hey thanks in advance for all the help.
Old 04-08-2005, 01:10 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

exhaust leak will sound different than the buzz you hear from ricer exhaust.
Do you see any blow-by on the pipes? (black dust spewed across metal)

SSA Headers are buzzy, they are not as thick as stock headers...

Is your muffler striaght thru? I would suggest getting cat back system 2.25 and a new muffler. (go with high-flo cat if you have the cash). You'll want some kind of noise reducer if you think it's loud now. Plan on including a glasspack of some sort in your catback (probably between cat and axle-piping).
Old 04-08-2005, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Exhaust leak will make exhaust sound louder, some times - very loud.

If you put CAT - sound should be quiter, but also solve your leak-problem (if you don't - it would become bigger and bigger).
Old 04-08-2005, 02:38 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

You'll be surprised at how much better your exhaust will sound after installing a cat or a glasspack. No more buzziness from what I've heard.

Also you should look into at least getting a cat, we all like clean air, every little bit helps.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:46 PM

Wow thx for the quick replies. Yeah my muffler is straight through. What type of muffler would you recommend. I was looking at the magnaflow street series, but my friend has an eclipse with one on it and it sounds like sh*t. It farts all the time.

Oh something else. After the downpipe I put the "test pipe" on that was sent with the header. If I get rid of that and put a cat there and fix the leak, you think that would sound better? Also what cat would you recommend. I have seen the magnaflow high flow cats on ebay for around $60. Is a high flow cat going to be louder than a regular one?

Also, ( sorry I am bombarding you guys with questions ) would I really notice a difference doing the whole 2.25 thing? With the budget I am working with I just want to make sure I am getting my moneys worth. I am hoping that I can get all that done and still have enough for an aem cai, which by the way, I was told works on an automatic, right ?? Ok, I have asked enough questions for now. Sorry !! smile.gif
Old 04-08-2005, 03:31 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

You'll notice a little bit of a difference with the 2.25" piping. As for sound, the test pipe is like the worst thing to have. It's kind of a waste IMO it's loud and really does nothing but add to the buzz.

The Magnaflow Hi-Flow cat will make the exhaust sound 10x better.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:03 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Does Magnaflow make a resonator? Cause I'll need one when I get my cat back custom made.
Old 04-08-2005, 04:41 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Resonators are eliminated in cat-backs... 99% of people don't have them one they get an aftermarket exhaust system.

The exhaust leak you have is contributing to the crappy obnoxious sound. Having the test pipe and crappy muffler isn't helping either.

Most straight-through mufflers are going to sound horrible. Mine is sort of a compromise... its not straight through, but its small.

Go with the 2.25" piping to a decent muffler (Apexi N1, Magnaflow (I like em...)) and see if the sound persists. If it does, then a glasspack will eliminate all your problems. laugh.gif
Old 04-08-2005, 05:02 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

LOL...

okay here it goes:

1) where can you get these magnaflow high flow cats from???

2) these 2.25'' Cat-Backs everyone speaks of so pleasantly, where do they come from, jupiter?
Old 04-08-2005, 05:15 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

1. I don't think Mangaflow makes hi-flow cats, could be wrong. I went with Carsound... they are all over Ebay and easy to find.

2. Any muffler/exhaust shop can bend it for you. Meinke is one of the bigger companies. There are tons of little companies all over the U.S. I live in rural VA and there are 3 places around me within 30 miles that can make em.