Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Couple Choices On What To Do Next

Old 11-15-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

if the difference is so small that like you said its probably not even noticable, i think ill save the 300 bucks and get a 4-2-1 on ebay, thanks socks

cant seem to find any pulleys on ebay for the tib either besides OD ones, so ill just watch it and grab one when one pops up

and alex ill send you a pm about the cams

fing02.gif
Old 11-15-2006, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Really good price on the headers! Kinda questionable feedback rating though... Almost makes me want to get some, but I've heard a lot of people have problems with really annoying buzzing. Is there any way to avoid that?? Searched repeatedly, only to get mixed opinions.

1.8 Cam and UD pulley are a great combo, pulley helps low range, cam helps high RPMs, and the headers are good everywhere.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:46 AM
Banned

well, not neccessarily get those headers from that supplier, theres TONS of suppliers..

and yes, they have some buzz, but worth it for how cheap they are and the power gain..

maintec headers are like 300-500$ more for a lil nicer looking header, and MAYBE a couple ponies, which that $$$ could be invested elsewhere into more power, weight reduction, etc.

and on a budget these are your answer..

im thinking that to get the buzzing to go down, here is what i would do, might not work, but would be helpful anyway, with heat.. paint the headers, with ultra hi-temp paint. a few layers, and then wrap them tightly, ALL the way down to the downpipe with heat wrap. if you want go with two layers on insulation on the headers.. i believe this will help with the buzzing, but either way itll be helpful..

only reason they buzz, is cuz the metal is kinda thin compared to other headers, and they vibrate with all the exhaust, this may help absorb some of the vibration/buzzing.. its worth a try though..
Old 11-16-2006, 03:11 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Those obx headers are decent...my body got one for his mr2 a while back and it produced gains...so go for it.

Just to let everyone know...i will be selling my 4-1 shark racing header in about 1-2 months (pm me if you would like me to contact you i put it up for sale.)
Old 11-18-2006, 03:09 PM

question on the pulleys.

ebay has only 2 types of pulleys for the rd2 right now as far as i can tell.

the OD pulleys

and

UD pulley

now i already had it in my budget to change out the timing belt and all but after looking at patreezy's DIY which i dont think is on the list unless i missed it,

it requires quite abit of work and figured if i hold off on the headers i can just do all the pulleys at once.

now... common sense tells me that those pulleys are all different lol, but what i couldnt find through search is the pulley kit which has all the pulleys you need. the first 2 pulleys are overdrive pulleys as for the last one is an underdrive.

should all the pulleys be underdrive pulleys or is that correct with those 2
Old 11-18-2006, 03:33 PM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i hope this is the answer you're looking for-... the underdrive pulley is smaller then the stock crank pulley. if i knew much about physics i'd explain how and why it makes your car go faster, but i don't. the other 2 in the "power pulley" set are the same size as your stock water pump and power steering pump-... the gain there is that they are lighter. i've put all 3 pulleys on my last car and it was probably my favorite mod. i could be wrong but i think the lighter power steering pulley allowed the car to handle a wee-bit better. if you do go for the full pulley set, have fun putting on the water pump pulley!
Old 11-18-2006, 03:58 PM

thanks for the info steve

one last question for now about underdriving. one of the posts i read said that with the pulleys at idle with the fog lights on they would dim with a stock sound system...

now i have a 12" sub with an amp and another 4 channel amp for a few 3 way speakers. would i run into problems that the alternator cant keep up to the power drain?
Old 11-19-2006, 08:57 AM

Vehicle: 2000 hyundai tiburon

i know absolutley nothing about sound systems (other than they're dead weight), but w/ my stock accesories, and a few gadgets here and there-... i did not notice any "electrical power" loss.