Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Corrosion In Cooling System !

Old 01-12-2008, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy All,

Please help with the following prob.

When I replaced the 90 degree rubber water pipe on my tib's engine, I discovered huge corrosion!
One of the "metal fittings" that the pipe clamps on to is half eaten away by corrosion!
I have managed to clamp the hose on to what is remaining.

I am thinking that this was caused from the previous owner putting in too much antifreeze.

I have had an overheating problem since I bought this car:
The radiator pushes coolant into the reservoir but often does not suck it back into the radiator.
I notice there is a vacuum in the radiator when I remove the radiator cap , but I still have to "blow" the coolant
from the reservoir to fill the radiator again.

I suspect there is a blockage somewhere in the engines cooling system and that this is the problem?
Has anyone had this problem.......?
I need to clear possible blockages.

Does anyone have any advise on this?

I feel like taking the 90 degree rubber pipe off and shoving my garden hose in there to force water through the system..!

Anyone.......?
Old 01-12-2008, 09:33 AM

Actually sounds like you may have a blown head gasket. I know this sounds weird, but does the coolant smell like old bananas? That's one of the first signs of a head gasket failure. Also, if the engine runs rough, and doesn't overheat sitting still, but does while driving.

Reason I say that is because combustion gasses getting into the cooling system can just cause all kinds of corrosion problems. It's called electrolysis, and it happens when there's free moving electrolytes between dissimilar metals, and is somehow sped up by combustion gasses. See if you can do a compression check, then if that comes back ok, go to a parts store like napa and ask for a block tester. It's like a turkey baster that you fill with blue fluid. Then open the radiator cap, start the car and let it warm up. Squeeze the bulb and draw in the fumes that come off the coolant (don't suck in coolant, just the vapors) and if the fluid turns yellow, it's a bad head gasket.

Oh yeah- after verifying the engine is ok (either good head gasket or replace head gasket) do a coolant flush. Run some Gunk coolant flush with pure water, then drain and flush with pure water as many times as necessary until it comes out clear. You may need to replace your radiator and heater core after this, if the crap is settled in too deep.

Best of luck though...

Terrence
Old 01-12-2008, 09:48 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Flush it out with water first. How many miles on the car?

You should really flush the whole system out. Radiator, heater core, everything. Make sure theres nothing in there. Replace the thermostat if you havent already. other than that just make sure you clean it up as good as possible. Which fitting was bad? If you need a new t-stat housing i have one here I think.