Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cooling System Worries

Old 01-04-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

whats up everbody?
i just got done installing my pro sport coolant temp gauge using a buddyclub hose adapter and according
to the guage its says the engine never sees higher than 125F. i know most cars go into open loop around 160F. my questions are

does this hurt my cars performance?
could this be do to a faulty guage?
can an air bubble in the cooling system cause the guage to read less?
is there a bleed vavle for the cooling system somewhere on the block to make sure there is no air in the system?

other cooling mods are koyo rad, 2 12" maradyne fans that are wire to run at all times and a shark racing thermostat.

thanks in advance
Old 01-04-2009, 01:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

With the radiator and fans it probably never gets above that. You have heavy cooling going on with that setup.
Old 01-04-2009, 02:21 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

The thermostat shouldn't route the water thru the radiator if temperature is below operating level.. So i'd make sure the thermostat is good.. The fact that the radiator and fans are very good is irrelevant..
Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM

how can i test to see if the thermostat is allowing coolant to flow before the set temp?

just take the rad. cap off and start the car up?
Old 01-07-2009, 01:27 PM

wouldn't a CEL be thrown if the thermostat was allowing coolant to flow before the set temperature? I don't think you have a problem with your thermostat. I think you're cooling adequately such that you are never getting above that temp. Can you make your fans not work all-time? See if that makes the coolant temp raise to that point.

[edit]
BTW, how's the heat inside the car? That's a good indication of an open thermostat too.
Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

thats what i thought so i hooked my scanner up to it and the coolant temp was around 180ish degrees. i think i placed my adapter for the hose too close to the radiator.
for shits and giggles i got my IR thermometer place it at the top of the lower radiator hosae and it was 190 and where i placed my sensor was 125. i didnt think the coolant would cool that much being about 7 inches away from the thermostat housing.

so now im thinking about just tapping into the thermostat housing if it has enough clearance.