Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Connecting Multiple Power/ground Lines

Old 02-27-2008, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how do you guys deal with connecting power/ground lines that branch off? For example, you have one 12V line which you tapped, now you need to further tap that 12V line to supply power to, let's say, 5 other accessories. How would you connect all of those 5 power wires? I have some ideas, but I have no experience with this, so I wanna know how it's actually done. I was thinking that you could solder them all (which I wouldn't do), or you could connect them to all of the accessories in a series fashion (ie. one 12V wire connects to one accessory, and you take it from that accessory to the next accessory, and so on), but I think that increases resistance and lowers current. Maybe a connection block? I'm not sure.

So how would you guys do this?
Old 02-27-2008, 07:58 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

For that many connections you should look into doing a whole new line from your battery into a distribution block with an appropiate fuse inline.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:59 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

http://search.ebay.com/power-distribution-...QQfsopZ3QQgbrZ1
Old 02-27-2008, 10:40 PM

it's for an alarm/remote starter. I tapped a 12V constant line from my ignition harness, but I need to add 4 SPDT relays for dome light, parking lights flash, ..., and each 85 connector of all of those relays requires 12V. Right now I've got my entire alarm/RS to work, but it's all mock fitted (no connections have been soldered/crimped yet). So you would use a distribution block in this case or might connecting the 12V in series to all 4 relays be ok to do?
Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Since none of those circuits draws much current (they only act on relays), you might get away with drawing all that from the +12V hot wire connected to the thing you put the key in (ignition harness). That's how my alarm is set up.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Vehicle: 01 Tiburon

^^^
i agree with radu... but when you start getting into connecting the headlights (aka my HID's), horn, sunroof, power window or any current-hungry components, then you should def get a a seperate line for them

btw, for your alarm/rs setup even on how basic it is, make sure that you have your own separate ground for it (self tapping screw directly to the body is a good one)
Old 02-28-2008, 01:44 PM

I'm not connecting anything too crazy, it's just to draw current to those relays which are acting as triggers, so I'll go ahead and use the same 12V line. So what kind of connector did you use to connect all of those branches from the 12V line?

When I do my stereo system next, I may use the distribution block.

As for your comment, Jay, regarding the ground wires, much appreciated. That was something I was wondering, whether to connect all of my grounds to a tapped ground, or connect them all to a bolt/metal screw in my car.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

if you are running that many accessory lines you should be finding a higher amperage source or even going to the battery and using a relay to power that many sources otherwise you can and more than likely will blow a fuse!