Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Computer Choices

Old 08-15-2006, 12:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Its apparant that our computer is smarter then we are.... atleast to a point lol, and seeing as such, I am becomming ever so slightly (ok not slightly, Extremely) confused as to what the hell to do with my computer.

My future plans see a turbo so I want something that I will be able to use to properly tune my ecu when that time comes. But at the same time, I want something to tune my ecu to get some power at the N/A level. So thus, what to do???

All I hear is the problems with fueling we have with the emanage and also in my readings have found that the SMT-6 has the same problems?

I am just confused.

Id like for once a nice problem free install that will work for me down the road in case. so what to go with? emanage, smt 6, is there anything else? And with this supposed dual fuel rail setup, does that solve all the over fueling of the injector problems? And does that show any power to the wheels? Also does it create idling, daily driving, or WOT problems? I am just so confused.

Ive been reading forumns all night lol and I got work at 7 tomorrow... or rather today. It just sux cause money is always a problem. I really wish I could have the money, or maybe just access to another car so tibby could sit still for a bit and let me work on her when I have the time, but since she is my only transportation and friends are usually assholes about it even tho I used to bus their asses around everywhere.... yeah money sux but since im only 18 I guess its aight. But yeah, I am just hardcore confused.

If I go with emanage will simply putting the dual fuel rail setup sufice? or will problems still arise? will it still be fine if i go turbo in the next year and run 11-12 psi? ugh also in terms of the incar laptop hookup, is the emanage the only thing you can really do that with or can you do it with the smt-7. and whats this PRS thing? im sorry for the all the questions , im just confused.

As always, thx for the assistance.

<span style="color:#FF0000">MOD EDIT, wow that was hard to read before, try not to make post 1 huge runon sentance</span>
Old 08-15-2006, 04:38 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You could always talk to airborne and get a reflashed ECU for your speciffic setup which will require NO tuning. Over in Korea they've messed with the setups enough that they have preset values and can reflash by selecting what you have installed. I think they have a deal where they'll send you an ECU and you send your stock one back.

and please use paragraphs.
Old 08-15-2006, 07:05 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

^^ see the problem is the person here in the states that has the reflash is experiencing problems with it

it DOES require tuning apperently as his car has been acting up since the install
Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ok you asked a bunch of questions here. Lets see what we can answer/clarify

You asked what computer you should get, at first i thought you were asking about P/C's and almost moved this to offtopic. lmao.gif

But to answer that question, if your looking for a piggyback to work with your stock ECU to adjust fuel trim and somewhat adjust ignition timing you can go with the Emanage, SMT-6, or SAFC-II. but the SAFC is grade A certified garbage if your not n/a and the tuning suxors even with N/A since it only adjusts WOT, so more or less disregard that one.

as far as a Standalone alot of people like Haltech, there is also megasquirt, and PRS.

Standalones are great because you have absolute tuning control over your engine, with no restrictions on how much you can advance or retard timing and you can tune for specific AFR and since its MAP based you can tune for boost and you dont have the ghey MAF sensor.

BUT, standalone will leave you in limbo when you need to be inspected and youll need to do some shady stuff to get a sticker, ask bryan lol.

SMT-6 with a dual rail tuned to kick in for boost has been shown to eliminate the ECU leaning out the tune and you can supposidly adjust timing with the SMT-6, id contact denis if you want more details on igntioion with the SMT-6. BUT no the great thing about running dual rail is that you get to keep your stock rail with the ECU tuning the trim by itself when off boost or say under a certain % throttle or at a certain RPM, meaning you get to keep your low speed tune and DD and idle arent affected. if you were to go single rail with larger injectors you would have to tune on low rpms so that your not getting too much fuel at idle/cruise.

Since you said your thinking about turbo, SMT-6 or the emanage would be fine for boost and before you boost.

Oh and the SMT-6 is tuned using an incar laptop.

Help at all?
Old 08-17-2006, 09:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

sry its taken me so long to respond, been under alot of stress, umm yes, thank you very much, this is all very helpful however, im still kind of wondering about this dual fuel rail setup. Ive been doing alot of reading in the forumns and ive come across a few bits of info that intrigue me. number 1, 5.0 mustang injectors fit our car? I thought they were carbuerated? number 2, I read that with any piggyback we use leans our car too much and causes long term damage, is this fixable with the dual fuel rail setup? or is this info unreliable? I guess my biggest question is just what the dual fuel rail setup will mean in terms of performance, long term use, possible damage to internals, etc. Again, thank you for helping me out, your sure a wealth of knowledge. O and sry for the bad grammar lol, my brain thinks in like multiples so when I start thinking of one question, another one spawns in my head and then I put both down together...and yeah it kinda goes like that lol. my bad... :-)
Old 08-17-2006, 09:42 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

LOL the last carburated mustang was in 1985, i hope you didnt think the newer mustangs werent EFI.lmao.gif

Any bosch type injector with high impedance will work in a dual rail, and the mustang green top injectors will work in the stock rail, although you dont replace the stock injectors in a dual rail, that defeats the purpose wink1.gif

any way. Piggybacks, with a single rail setup with bigger injectors the stock ecu has the ability to learn around the piggyback tune and lean the trim out after a while, causing you to need to reset the ECU to maintain the tune.

Some say they have avoided this by setting their piggy back to only adjust the fuel trim for 85% throttle or above, but this is dangerous for boost applications because boost can be made as low as 30-40% throttle. Hell sometimes i get boost when im trying not to get boost.

Dual rail takes the ecu out of control of the secondary rail and many have used the secondary rail for boost sensitive / high deflection (throttle) application without problems leaning out after time.

Dual rails on turbochaged applications offer the most protection to internal damage of the piggyback setups as they dont lean out the AFR leading to detonation/knock/ping/ohshit.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:29 PM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

I dont like the sound of piggy-backs, chopping up my wiring. I'm going Micro-tech standalone system, nice and easy to program from a laptop, also comes with a nice little handset to change my mapping on the fly.

www.microtech-efi.com