Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Comparison between Beta1 and Beta2 Intake manifold and head ports.

Old 06-17-2002, 05:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>BV1:
Actually the saleman at Hyundai said that they got 11 more HP out of the new Beta in the 2003 Tiburon. He showed me a ntoe on it from Hyundai, but it didnt explain what they did to achieve it? When I asked why it was rated the same, he said because they are trying to promote the V6. So I dunno....

-Steve</div>if this is the same motor as the elantra gt wouldn't it be possible that they put the same cam from the gt in it? that would give it 5-7 hp right there. the runners in that manifold don't look much bigger than the beta 1 motor so I wouldn't think you would get much of a hp gain but maybe a better torque curve. the seperation of the runners would increase air velocity and promote better swirling with the fuel.
Old 06-17-2002, 09:47 AM

Vehicle: 1999 Tiburon

so, as far as OEM mods go, get the gt cam and the beta II IM and you'll be good to go for about 9 more hp give or take? (based on the numbers that were just thrown out here) sweet, but i'm bettin that beta II IM ain't cheap....
Old 06-17-2002, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Vehicle: 2008 Toyota Prius 2006 Suzuki SV650S

You can get the BETA2 IM from a junkyard, but it does have some problems with swapping it out on a BETA1.

The Beta2 has a much different design for the Idle Air Bypass. It is built into the Throttle body/IM junction. I'm not sure if the new IAB is compatable with the large unit we currently have. I know the wire connection is different, but you could always try to connect one just incase it works....

For those that were worried about firewall clearance issues. No worries. The lack of the IAB on the back of the IM, gives the new IM the clearance it needs. They sit in about the same spot. (back of new IM and IAB on old IM).

If someone wants to try the swap, I reccomend using the gasket from the Beta2 Manifold rather than the gasket from the Beta1.

I'll have more comparison photos for the gaskets and other such stuff later.
Old 06-18-2002, 12:20 AM

Good job Random, I was waiting when you would discover another HP secret... Now to wait and find a good price for one of those babies..
Old 06-18-2002, 02:00 AM
Red

The much larger cross-sectional area will mean lower velocity in a normally aspirated car, so the power would drop at the low end and would pick up again at the top. But for someone who's running boost, it would be quite a nice addition.

It sucks that the Delta throttlebodies have the same bolt pattern as the BETA I manifold, otherwise we could bolt a 68mm TB on there and really rape ass smile.gif

I'm definately putting this manifold on the "needed parts" list, that's just too good to pass up. And I could care less about the idle bypass setup, because I've got a Haltech anyway... I'll MAKE it work
Old 06-18-2002, 08:22 AM

Random-

If you or someone you know is in possesion of one of these things, why don't you try and install it?
Old 06-19-2002, 12:44 AM

That is I
Well ummmmm,... i kind of wont need it

wink

now hush boy

They are for sale though

if i dont get a considerable bid,... they will be placed on ebay

Its the full IM and TB with ALL sensors
Old 06-19-2002, 12:47 AM

Vehicle: Lancer Evo IX

Wish I had a car to try this on... frown
Old 06-19-2002, 02:47 AM
Red

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>JAWS 021:

They are for sale though

if i dont get a considerable bid,... they will be placed on ebay

Its the full IM and TB with ALL sensors</div>Bah, I don't need any stinkin sensors, and the stock idle bypass valve is a 3-wire unit and isn't optimal to use with the Haltech anyway. I could pick up the manifold brand new for $192 without using any of my "special" friends so tongue.gif on you!

I've sourced one for $135, gonna check it out later today.
Old 06-19-2002, 02:53 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Red:
Bah, I don't need any stinkin sensors, and the stock idle bypass valve is a 3-wire unit and isn't optimal to use with the Haltech anyway. I could pick up the manifold brand new for $192 without using any of my "special" friends so :p on you!

I've sourced one for $135, gonna check it out later today.</div>Damnit Red,... daddy needs tunning. Quit cracking down my business.
Dont you have an electric supercharger to attack tongue.gif
Go back to the smart plug post,...lol tongue.gif
Or go play with your "special" friend wink

By the way,... im including the TB as well.