Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Comparing Cais

Old 03-31-2007, 02:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

Well... I'll just hot link pics from ebay and spout what I think...

Seems CAIs are just 3" metal tubes that are bent funny with filters stuck on the end. Quality of the filter doesn't really matter, as you can replace any cheapo with a nice K&N filter pretty easily. So the only advantage of the more expensive CAIs (as I see it) is that they bend their pipes in just the right ways to fit nicely and charge a fair amount (100-200).

I'm surprised some decent knock-offs haven't sprouted up, considering once someone does it, its pretty easy to copy. (Copyright on how ya bent the tube?)

WAIs:

and another one, but a rather bad picture

It does seem a decent 1-piece has popped up recently on Ebay:

Its white... assume so that you can paint it any color you want laugh.gif

Then a whole list of cheapos that come in ones that come in pieces that really look like they suck.

I imagine you could put a hole in that white one piece and stick the air temp sensor in it... would it work well? Guess it depends on where it ends up... Hard to tell the exact dimensions due to the pic.

Question pretty much is, 100+ really the price for a decent CAI?
Old 03-31-2007, 10:09 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

WAI. I wouldn't recommend this one. This is an INJEN knockoff. Injen had the right idea, but didn't finish the job. Buy a AEM style instead. I ran this one for about 5 months and then changed for a Chrome Intake. I kept the Y pipe though. It's a good piece to have.

This is a CAI. I run this model. It is 2 pieces, that goes to the same place as the AEM. This is the best option. It gives you more flexibility to reduce batery rubbing. Chrome intakes FTW. It's the same thing as the AEM, but it is separated into 2 pieces

This one's been around for a while It's alright. It's a direct AEM knockoff. You could powder coat it and put the AEM symbol on it and noone would be the wiser. Who cares, Chrome Intakes is better.

If you want the Chrome Y pipe like I have and cold air, you'll need to buy the INJEN knockoff and the Chrome Intakes or the AEM knockoff.

This is the rest of the chrome intake

Old 03-31-2007, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

I'm closing this, as there are about 4000000 threads on this site about the exact same subject.

1. If you buy a knockoff, you are supporting the wrong folks. Support the MFR's that make parts for us, to ensure future part production.
2. Do so research. REAL companies test their products to get the most performance out of your car from their items. A Injen WAI and a AEM CAI are NOT the same things, and the AEM will provide better gains.
3. Why waste the money on the crappy filter they will give you when you can just get a good one from the start? Get a good new AEM CAI, and you get a GOOD filter with it, which is more than worth the cost.

CLosed.
Old 03-31-2007, 02:14 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

And its not chrome, its polished aluminum
Old 04-01-2007, 10:37 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

DTN, stop reporting this fvckin thread
Old 04-01-2007, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

DTN is warned, stop harassing the staff through the Report Center you douchebag. A report of "It's not chrome it's polished aluminum" is invalid. Your 4 other reports on this thread were for no reason at all, but to argue a moot point. There are 4 basic intakes for the RD's, the short ram, the Injen, The AEM, and the custom one that makes you turn your battery sideways (several members have this). I could care less if it's chrome, if it's painted, or if it's covered in grease, they are the same with very minor differences depending on who rips off the design.

ENOUGH!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CF-97-98-99...111974455QQrdZ1

That's a SHITTY intake. The filter, well, if you wanna call it that, is a POS. FOlks would know from that alone. Support the clone artists and be a cheapass in your mods with your car, it'll bite you in your ass someday (like when something makes it into your engine.) Enjoy.

Why not just write "Optima" on your yellow battery and say it's a Yellow Top?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>DrivingTibNaked @ Yesterday, 04:57 PM um... no, it's chrome. the WAI is polished aluminum.

View Post

DrivingTibNaked @ Yesterday, 10:39 PM This thread is not done. REDZMAN does not have his facts. Chrome Intakes is not a knockoff. They are their own brand. The other WAI model is a knockoff. AEM was the first company to make CAIs for our cars. This does not justify the price. This thread needs to be reopened, there's more then just Injen and AEM now-a-days.

View Post

DrivingTibNaked @ Yesterday, 10:39 PM My ChromeIntakes filter is oilable.

View Post

DrivingTibNaked @ Yesterday, 10:40 PM It's chrome coated. Aluminum sucks and will not polish very easily.

View Post</div>

And for you f***er, I've got my facts. Show me a website for "Chrome Intakes" or an actual company location. All these guys did is get a AEM, find some pipes they had that were the same shape, but 2 different ones, and put them all together. There ARE other intakes out there (Fujita, ect.) but there are only 2 real designs as listed above.