Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cold Air Intake Heat Resistance

Old 01-31-2005, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cold Air Intake Heat Resistance

AEM uses a protective spray... or coating of some sort on their CAI's to prevent the intake from obsorbing engine heat... is it possible to buy this at a store such as advanced auto? ive been searching around... but i cant find the name of it.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Called powdercoating. You can't buy it in a can. I think they make ceramic coating in a can, but its no where near the effectiveness of the actual ceramic coating process.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:03 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Called powdercoating. You can't buy it in a can. I think they make ceramic coating in a can, but its no where near the effectiveness of the actual ceramic coating process.</div>

summitracing.com has adhesive tape that reflects the heat smile.gif
Old 01-31-2005, 10:10 PM

I wouldn't resort to using reflective adhesive tape... either way, its no way tape would equal the effectiveness of powdercoating. If your going to do that, you might as well get a firefighter's outfit and wrap it around your intake. tongue.gif
Old 01-31-2005, 10:12 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldn't resort to using reflective adhesive tape... either way, its no way tape would equal the effectiveness of powdercoating. If your going to do that, you might as well get a firefighter's outfit and wrap it around your intake. tongue.gif</div>

they sell that too smile.gif not quiet a firefighter outfit, but you can buy special material and put it on your pipes to prevent any heat getting to your pipes smile.gif
Old 01-31-2005, 10:18 PM

You talking heat wrap? Heat wrap is the devil, very damaging. Hoping the tape doesn't do the same thing as that blasted stuff.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:20 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>I wouldn't resort to using reflective adhesive tape... either way, its no way tape would equal the effectiveness of powdercoating. If your going to do that, you might as well get a firefighter's outfit and wrap it around your intake. tongue.gif</div>

Most wraps will out perform "powdercoating" as far as reflecting heat goes.And heat wrap will not damage an intake since there is no major heat source there.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:21 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hamhead)</div><div class='quotemain'>Called powdercoating. You can't buy it in a can. I think they make ceramic coating in a can, but its no where near the effectiveness of the actual ceramic coating process.</div>

Nope. I don't see how ceramic coating would be in a can...b/c it's a similar process to powder coating, where the metal surface becomes charged and the ceramic particles cling to the surface and they bake the finish.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:23 PM

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?...h&Ntt=heat+wrap

here

search there a lil and you'll find lots of good stuff smile.gif
Old 01-31-2005, 10:31 PM

Gah, its some sort of spray I saw it somewhere. I knew ceramic coating involved charging the surface so I couldn't see how it would've worked. I think someone sprayed their downpipe with it because the heat from it was messing with the alternator... I'll find it somewhere...

While I realize that wrapping a header with heat wrap that gets 1600degrees and wrapping an intake that might get 200degrees will mean probably less corrosion if any because of the wrap, I personally don't trust the wrap. I've seen holes cooked in headers cause of that stuff.