Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.
View Poll Results: Should I send them off?
Fo Sho
64.29%
Heat Wrap
14.29%
Rattle Can
14.29%
Leave them as is
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

To Coat Or Not To Coat?

Old 06-28-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hey guys I just recieved my Maintec Headers from Hamhead. The quality of these surpass OBX/SSA in every way. They look like a soild set of headers. I was just getting opinions on if I should send them off to Jet-Hot and have them coated. Its going to cost about $185 to get them coated and shipped back to me. Please voice your opinions.

Old 06-28-2007, 07:55 PM

Do it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:06 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

If you have the money then Id say do it. Dont us RD guys get a special pricing on Jet Hot though?
Old 06-28-2007, 09:12 PM

Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon SE

just make sure if you get them coated they dont coat the flex pipe - i remember a post about that where the flex pipe ended up not flexing because Jet Hot coated it.
If it was me, I wouldn't coat it at all, but if you have the money then go for it.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:22 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

coat it!! I love mine.
Old 06-28-2007, 09:26 PM

as far as wrapping & rattle canning is concerned, I did a lot of research on this before wrapping my headers, and have a lot of experience with rattle canning. 1200 degree rattle can stuff will not work. I tried it. Sanded all surface rust off with steel wool, and painted & baked them. It will look good for no longer than one week (if lucky). It will send terrible fumes into your car, and just when that stops happening, it will flake. I know VHT offers "Flame Proof" stuff that's 1300 - 2000 degree stuff that is rattle can and requires baking (or it never dries), and I don't have experience with a baked piece, so that may work if you steel-wool all the surface rust off first.

Header wrap will harm your headers. You'll keep your engine bay nice and cool, (heck, I can touch my wrapped headers without getting burned), but this contained heat will deteriorate your headers prematurely. Plus, even with silicone spray over the wrap, water will get trapped between the wrap and the metal. With the surface rust that looks to already have taken place, only bad things could be predicted.

Your best bet is to go with JetHot and their spiffy warranty. They'll look great again, and you have some quality headers there... not the POS SSA ones like I have. I don't care if mine rust through, so I wrapped them. You should take care of the quality piece that you have. smile.gif

Just my $0.02 from experience and research.