Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Clogged Cat?

Old 05-30-2006, 09:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

K I havent been on the highway in a while. And sunday I went for a ride...in overdrive and as soon as I hit about 65mph at about 3000 rms or whatnot, it didnt go any faster and the rpm's kinda went lower and then back up to 3000 again.Keep in mind I WAS on the gas lol. I thought maybe my cat was clogged up or something.. or maybe my headers just suck???
Old 05-30-2006, 10:14 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

what if you drive with half throttle, will it pass 3000 RPM?
Old 05-30-2006, 10:16 AM

It's very possible. When I first bought my car, it had a clogged cat. I could barely get it to go anywhere. I left it sit for about a month or two, just randomly starting it up.. then one day I decided to drive it and it would barely move. I could get it to do maybe 40 MPH.. 3000 was about as high as RPM as I got to too. DO NOT take it to the dealership and let them install a factory one. I ended up having to pay 650 dollars for a new cat converter. I could have just got a high flow cat and saved myself money. Just some advice.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:54 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Do you have an aftermarket header or a stock exhaust manifold?
Old 05-30-2006, 11:10 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

It's your TPS.

Guaranteed.
Old 05-31-2006, 06:56 AM

No aftermarket headers or anything except a p.o.s. 3A racing muffler. I drive the car every day just not on the highway. Btw..what is the TPS anyway??

Edit.. Ok its the Throttle Position Sensor. How do you fix it and how would it be busted?

Edit 2.. On the way back I took it out of overdrive and it was fine. I was doing about 72 and it was at 4000 rpms. Id much rather do 110 in overdrive though.
Old 05-31-2006, 07:59 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You take off the old TPS and replace it with a new one MFR'd by Keifco.

Takes about 4 minutes to do.

If your car is still under warranty (LOL), it's free. The Dae Sung TPS's have a tendancy to go bad. Do a search for "TPS".
Old 05-31-2006, 08:07 AM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

Check out that tps first. (I just replaced mine yesterday....worked out good.)

If that doesn't solve your problem check the cat farthest from the engine for a clog. I also had that happen to me before and experienced problems sorta like yours. Its fairly inexpensive to replace. I got a high flow installed from a shop for around $100.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:47 PM

Stick it in neutral. Rev it up slowely...does it still have the same problem climbing in rpm's? Rev it up fast--any issues? When it starts to have issues do you hear any difference in the exuast sound?

Not that this little story will help but I had a peice of cat come off and drove a couple of days like that having issues accelerating. Till one day I got tired of someone tailgating me while I was accelerating so let go of the gas, then punched it to the floor. That peice dislogged, shot out of my exaust with a loud bang, and hit the car tailgating me (straight through mufflers are fun!!!). He stopped tailgating me. Don't thing he ever understood exactly what had happened.
Old 06-14-2006, 10:03 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Go to dealer and ask them if your TPS is still under warranty, tell them you know the Dae Sung TPS is known to go bad on our cars and you want it replaced. Let them know that YOU know what you're talking about... I suggest you talk to them without letting them see your car first. Have them agree to change it before seeing your car