Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Check Engine Light -.-

Old 02-05-2008, 12:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so this is the first problem I have actually had with the Tib, so just to make sure let me know if this is what you think it wrong with it. Check engine light came on, I tried to start the car, when I turn the key it makes the sound like its going to start but never turns over...Only thing I could think was my starter just went out? Any ideas? I had to push start the car twice tonight, but once it was running no problems once so ever.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

does it crank? if so then alternator. check your battery terminals. if it doesn't crank it's the battery.

i'd also check plugs and wires, coilpack but order first.

could also be the ECU fuse in the engine bay. that one went out on me once in the middle of listening to music. i was like W T F just went!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:37 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Elantra

Did you even try to get it read?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:22 AM

have not got it read yet, as I do not like push starting it to get it to move lol, no it does not crank, if it did crank I would not have to push start it. The battery is like a month old. With new terminals and everything. It just doesnt start lol. How hard is it to change the starter on our cars?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

^^ Not easy... It's behind the engine block, and really hard to get to.

Definitely get your CEL read though, even if you have to push start it. If it is able to run (from a push start), then it does seem as though it would be a starter issue.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:46 AM

Went out to the car today, no check engine light popped up yet the car still will not turn over. Check fuses, good. Followed the line for the starter and there is not open wires or anything -.- Can a bad alternator cause the car to not start?
Old 02-05-2008, 08:44 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

how are you driving your car around with no front bumper? Or what are you doing for one?

A bad altenator can cause the battery to drain and not start or even turn/crank. Its either the alt or the starter. If you want to find out, get a car that does start and run and some jumpercables. Run the jumper cables to both vehicles and start the working vehicle. Leave your tib off and do not try to jump it for 10-20 minutes. Now unplug the jumpercables and start your car. If it starts then your altenator went dead, if it doesn't then you have a bad starter. Sometimes (not sure if this is the case on tibs) there is a cylonoid for the starter that you can tap with a wrench to get the starter to turn.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:00 AM

Ya i was just driving the car with no front bumper lol looks bad but I needed to get out and well I drove it. I would rather it be the alt then the starter though, both are expensive but I can change out the alt very quick compared to the starter, because I do not have any idea on how to change that lol.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Hard to tell without getting the code read, but here's a few things you can do:

Get it started somehow, with the car running, pop the hood and disconnect the battery. See if the car stays running, if so, then your alternator is most likely good (unless your alternator is on its last leg, sometimes they have intermittent charging issues, so this test will fail)

Make sure the battery has a good full charge (jump it if you have to) and try to start the car. If it does not crank, listen closely, can you hear a "whirring" sort of sound? If so, then it's your starter.

Changing the starters on our cars is NOT hard...it will take you less than an hour including clean up time (unless you are like me and do everything super slow just to make sure you don't f up, then 1 1/2 - 2 hours). If you determine that it is the starter, then me (or someone else) can post up some info on how to replace the starter (or search).

If I were you, I would be praying that it is the starter and not the alternator. The starter is much cheaper, and much easier to replace.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:40 PM

there was a whining sound after I got the car started yesterday thats why my dad and a few other people said that it is my starter. I searched for a starter install but couldnt bring anything up. And not in the DIY section either. I DO have an aftermarket alarm on it running to the wiring on the starter would that effect the install of the new starter at all? Any help on how to do it would be great. But just to make sure I will also, try the test u just said, just to double check.