Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cheap Canister Muffler?

Old 11-12-2008, 09:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any recommendations? Mine came with a header and full aftermarket exhaust of unknown origin. The canister muffler is shot but everything in front of it is perfect.

What's a good cheap (38 y/o, two kids, a house and going back to school!) replacement? Autozone shows nothing on it's site but it's just looking for a Tiburon 1.8. I know I can get a more "universal" muffler somewhere like ebay but was wondering if anyone has anything they can tell me.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:01 AM
Banned

whats your inlet on the muffler (pipe diameter) just get an el-cheapo ebay can muffler(resonator is all they really are) with the right size inlet/outlet you want
Old 11-12-2008, 11:00 AM

Vehicle: 1998 & 2001 Tiburon

If you're going for quiet exhaust I have heard great things about 3-chamber turbo mufflers.

I will be putting one on my tib very soon (friday hopefully) and can get some sound clips then.

This is the one that I ordered Dynomax Super-Turbo Muffler It's very cheap to (about $60 shipped).
Old 11-12-2008, 11:24 AM

Actually, my exhaust is set up for a canister straight-thru muffler. You know the kind... The ones with the blued tip.?
Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Banned

yeah, the crappy sounding fart can style.. thats why i posted what i did.

most of them will come with a silencer that i suggest leaving in the exhaust, specially on an N/A tib.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:44 PM

No, actually the one that's on there but rusted is one of those "fart can" types without the crappy sound they are known for. That's why I wanted to replace it with the same thing. Kinda deep and throaty really.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:57 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

when I did my exhaust work I just picked up a slightly used magnaflow canister off ebay for like 40 or 50 (about 1/2 of new) and it sounds great. Gotten tons of compliments on the sound from car and non-car people. Only person who doesn't like it in my brother and he runs his bike with open exhaust, he says "it's not loud enough".
Old 11-12-2008, 01:03 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Winston @ Nov 12 2008, 11:00 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If you're going for quiet exhaust I have heard great things about 3-chamber turbo mufflers.

I will be putting one on my tib very soon (friday hopefully) and can get some sound clips then.

This is the one that I ordered Dynomax Super-Turbo Muffler It's very cheap to (about $60 shipped).</div>

That's what I got, cost me $48 shipped.

dude, ohonestly, why do you want to stay with that POS style muffler? get this one, center in, center out, or center in, side out, and have a stockish looking exhaust that gets you less visual attention, and a good sounding exhaust that gets you less audio attention.

Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM

I'm not married to the thing, it's just that it fills up the exhaust opening in the rear facia perfectly and it'll be a bolt-on thing. If that muffler comes a in center-in/out (I'm going to look now) I'll do that.

I'm really just looking to make it as easy and cheap as possible for right now.