Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cf Hood + Rain/ Snow = ?

Old 07-27-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Hello all!

I searched for this but couldn't find much and I'm not sure if it goes here sorry if its the wrong spot for it but anyway.

I am getting or want to get the VIS Invader hood (not definite yet).

I was worried about rain and snow since we get our fair share of it here in PA.

Would it damage anything with all that moisture and water getting in the vent on the hood?

Unfortunately I don't have a garage so the weather would be at it all the time.

Also would the sun rain and snow take its toll on the hood being outside all the time? I'd hate to spend the money just to have it ruined or faded in a year or two.

Let me know what you guys think.
Old 07-27-2007, 10:25 AM

No. I've got 2 gigantic vents that let rain and snow fall directly into teh engine bay. All thats happened is my headers started to rust a tiny bit, so I resprayed them with heat paint. The sun may fade the CF if its really cheap quality, but again mine sits in direct sunlight too and hasn't really faded. I've got the Blacktibs cf evo hood.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:26 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

the LA rain didn't hurt Jaws' silver tib, the Seattle rain didn't hurt my tib. And the Prescott, AZ snowy winters didn't hurt anything either.

You'll be fine. No one I know of has had any problems. I just don't go through drive through car washes (never have) and take care when spraying the hood and windshield with water (so as to avoid DUMPING water into the vents).
Old 07-27-2007, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

Drive through car washes are evil !!! LOL Thanks for the reply!

One other thing about the hood is the rubber/steel strip thats on the top of the bumper.

Ive noticed alot of the tibs i've seen don't have them any more is it because of the rust problems I know mine rusted pretty bad or doesn't it fit any more with the different hood and body kits?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:19 PM

Vehicle: Turbocharged 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yah i havent seen any problems from driving with the hood in the weather although i had to get new nuts for my exhaust manifold because i didnt like the rusted look, but get some stainless nuts and they wont rust. everything else wont see rain.

Also, i replaced my bumper bolt strip with one from the dealer for like 15 bux, it was way worth it.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:21 PM
Banned

i have never had a problem with rain or snow with my hood and i have had the thing on my car for about 3 years now.. i got a couple of rock chips in the clear, but thats about it.
Old 07-27-2007, 01:06 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

haven't had any problems with my evo. even with the sensors right there. have your headers high temp coated and nothing will happen. bolts will rust though but they do that anyway from heat. 2 years with it on and still nothing.

if you're talking about a vent above the engine directly than i would not even go there.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:50 AM

if i was you i would buy a car cover and just keep the hood on in the warmer less percipitation months, just my 2 cents
Old 07-30-2007, 04:01 PM

Vehicle: 1997/Tiburon/FX

you'll be fine. I had 2 large evo vents in my hood and I live in PA. The weather didnt really effect anything other than engine bay cleanliness. But the VIS hood's vent is angled and smaller so you might not have to worry about the extra detailing.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:57 PM

I never have problems with mine.