Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Catalyst Below Threshold

Old 09-29-2007, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

so i was on my way to the the local car club site tonight when i discovered my cel popped on so i turned around and went to the autozone and had them scan it for me and they told me that the catalyst was below the threshold and started tellin me it was a sensor in my cat. now my question is i have a 2001 tiburon and my cat was gutted by me and i am certain that there was no sensor in the cat so can someone please help me distinguish exactly what the problem is?

any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 09-29-2007, 06:57 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that is the problem, that you gutted the cat. you should put all your sensors back in their place.

without sensors your car will run rich meaning it will burn more fuel and run less efficiently. i don't know why you did that, but i've relocated my o2 sensors and have had some problems in the past.

last time i hook up a car for SURE. smile.gif
Old 09-29-2007, 07:06 PM

all of the o2 sensors are in place and the sensor is before the cat i didnt relocate any wires or sensors so i cant imagine that is the problem

also the cat has been gutted for just about7 months and this is the first time it happend
Old 09-29-2007, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

the only way you're going to be able to tell exactly whats wrong is by using a scantool to read your codes and read the sensors via laptop. otherwise i don't think anyone can help you. it might be a bad o2 sensor, it could be the gutted cat (usually throws cel).

what is the actual code?
Old 09-29-2007, 08:54 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

its a code for the second o2 sensor. it doesnt see a change in emissions (obviously) and throws a code. It wont make it run rich or lean as that is the responsibility of the first o2 sensor
Old 09-29-2007, 10:05 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

put the sensor in open air and plug the hole to pass emissions testing without a CEL. fing02.gif
Old 09-29-2007, 10:23 PM

I LIVE IN FLORIDA I DONT HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT EMISSIONS IM JUST TRYIN TO FIGURE OUT EXATCLY WHAT IS WRONG.
I HAVENT REPLACE EITHER 02 SENSOR SINCE I GOT THE CAR SO I THINK IM GOING TO REPLACE BOTH OF THEM AND SEE IF IT HAPPENS AGAIN. I APPRECIATE THE HELP AND ILL LET YALL KNOW HOW IT GOES
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Don't type in all capital letters. It is improper on the internet. It is considered yelling. Were you trying to yell that entire thing at me or someone else?

2. Do not waste your money on a o2 sensor when you are getting a code for your gutted catalytic converter not working as efficiently as it should. The reason it is not working efficiently is because it is not there mang! Catalytic efficiency takes the longest out of all of the onboard tests to run because it requires you to get on the highway, then slow down, speed up, slow down speed up........ 7 times.

3. Replace your catalytic converter. Not only will removal give you only like 1/2 horsepower, it will offend everyone you drive by who happens to have a nose. Our cars run rich and they NEED a catalyic converter. This isn't just for you to say "i'm saving the environment" You're choking the person behind you who has their air conditioner on. That nasty exhaust goes into other cars through their HVAC vents. Your exhaust stinks man! Get a catalyic converter before you buy a o2 sensor. They're designed to work together. You have no catalytic converter right now.
Old 09-29-2007, 11:46 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

"Hmmm, I got a code for bad cat. Hmm, I also have no cat. What in the world could my problem be?"

Get a high-flow cat, I like to breathe every once in a while.