Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Cat and O2 Help

Old 03-10-2005, 02:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cat and O2 Help

So, I have been running my car without a cat for a couple of months now and I have had a CEL the entire time. To be honest with you, I am tired of the raspyness of no restrictions on the exhaust, running super rich, and the CEL.

I purchased a new cat for my car and took it to Midas. They started giving me crap about them breaking some kind of law. I had to explain to them that they are not doing anything illegal, because I took the cat off myself, not them.

They then told me that they would have to cut my header pipe. I wasn't too hapy about that but I explained to them exactly why I want the cat. This hickabilly is telling me that it will not take care of my running rich problem and the cell.

My question is, if I install a cat where the 2nd stock cat was and move the 2nd O2 sensor behind it, will that get rid of the CEL and cause my car to operate at the proper A/F ratio? The shop said that it will not because the distance between the O2 sensors is different.

I know that some people on here have done this, what are your results?
Old 03-10-2005, 04:13 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

First off, Midas sucks. IMO, non-corporation machine shops always work better than big-name places. Different topic though.

You wouldn't have to cut your header pipe. Cats need some heat to clean at their best, but they don't need to be right off the engine. Put it where the stock 2nd cat was should be fine and shouldn't involve cutting your header.

Moving the cat there will get rid of the CEL. As long as the cat is doing its job to the ECU's liking, it won't throw the CEL, and therefore it won't throw more fuel into the mix. The cat on my GSX is well darn near the muffler and it still operates fine, granted there are differences between my GSX and a relatively stock Tib.

Don't listen to the little bugger. Tell him what to do and let him do his job, hell thats what your paying him for.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:20 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TibRacer01)</div><div class='quotemain'>The shop said that it will not because the distance between the O2 sensors is different.</div>

i would not let someone that works on this SH!T for a living and thinks that touch my car.

take it somewhere else.

distance dont mean crap when it comes to that cel. its all about whats inbetween them.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:32 PM

agreed.. take a little trip through the yellow pages and find a place that can do the work for you and will not give you any grief.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

Maybe on other cars this matters, but as you can see, he has no idea anything about a tib, hardly any mechanic does unless it's at the Hyundai shop. Coming from experiance. I would do this myself if you have the tools.

Go to a different shop, see what they say. If they say the same thing, tell them to stfu and do the job. Make sure they don't charge you an arm and a leg for this.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

nah man, this is basic car stuff. he has no idea about cars in general. laugh.gif:
Old 03-10-2005, 06:19 PM

I have to agree with the guy on the legalities working with the cat. Iv been calling all over the place to get my exhaust done and nobody will do it if the cat is still on there. They say that it is now illegal for them to touch a working cat in PA. So Im gonna have to take it off myself and drive to the shop sounding like a tank.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:36 PM

Thanks guys, I just wanted to confirm what I was pretty sure of. The only reason I went there is because they were the only place open on Saturday afternoon.

I would install the cat but I have 2 problems. 1. It is a universal, so it has to be welded, 2. I vowed to never touch my exhaust again until I install my turbo. Man that is some $hitty work and I hate working on exhaust!
Old 03-10-2005, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If you think working with an exhaust and messing with some stuff is crappy work wait till you get the turbo in... its not all fun and games... frankly a pain in the ass. tongue.gif

Try and find a place that will do it with the cat on... if not wack it off yourself real quick and go over there with a massive exhaust leak.

Double_A, sounding like a tank is an understatement. Open headers on the Tib can vibrate interior panels on the car next to you.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:18 PM

i will tell you my experience...

take it to a small muffler/exhaust shop and bring your own cat (ALL over ebay)

they did mine with no questions asked, was pretty cheap, and i passed emissions no problem.