Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Wont Start :( Please Help.

Old 04-10-2006, 10:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tib

^^wtf.gif ?

Anyway, sounds like a dying alternator to me, either that or a bad battery that will no longer hold a full charge.
Here's what I would do..
Start the car and disconnect the battery terminals, if the car stays running for awhile then you know the alternator is good. Run it with your headlights, radio, everything on and just let it idle for awhile.

If the car didn't stall, then I'd check the battery. If you can find a place that will test your battery for free, do that, otherwise see if you have an extra battery or if you can maybe steal one from a friends/parents car for a few minutes to see if that works.

I highly doubt it's a starter, starters don't usually have intermittent problems like this.
Old 04-10-2006, 11:09 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RedRide97 @ Apr 10 2006, 03:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>but im wondering about infamous elec. problems with Tibbys.</div>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DrivingTibNaked @ Apr 10 2006, 10:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yep, it's the infamous electrical problem with the tiburon. If you look in your user's manual under controls and indicators, it explains all about the problem. It even explains how to perform a workaround. You see, when you get out of your vehical, you must rotate the switch to the off positon. Only then will you be able to walk out to your car and be sure it will start.</div>

Since when guys???

Not the battery, MIGHT be the alternator,... but I doubt it...

My guess, since I can't see the car is the clutch switch!
Check behind your clutch. That switch might be loose, corroded, or just off kiltered.
Check that
Old 04-10-2006, 11:25 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Domi @ Apr 10 2006, 02:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I don't know what it is. But it aint the battery.
If it was it shouldn't do anything at all (I mean the second time he tried)

Don't know the english word, maybe it's (in dutch) the 'Start motor'
Goodluck man</div>

^wrong the battery can lose charge slowly wich means the jump could have gave him enough juice for the alternator to keep the engine going but after a few haurs the battery will not keep the charge so it is possible and most likely your battery that is the problem. if it were your starter you would have not been able to start it. you could always try to push start it if you really belive its your starter but.. its the battery.

you do know that your battery requires water rite? try checking that and filling it up then jump it and see if it holds power mite do the trick.
Old 04-11-2006, 12:35 AM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I would:

1. Check Battery/clean posts and terminal rings
2. Check Starter-could have a bad spot in it. try rocking the car in gear a bit to get the starter to move a bit. Try it. If it starts, then you have a bad spot on your starter. Replace.
3. Check Clutch Switch/(Park switch if its automatic)
4. Check Alternator- i suggest using a multimeter for this. I had a bad Alt that was OVER charging my bat. Took it to 3 different parts stores and the alt checked out ok on their dyno machines. Took it home and fried my 3rd battery. Finally got a new alt and new bat, everything has been fine since.

Good luck man. fing02.gif
Old 04-11-2006, 02:23 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

If you can turn on headlights and wipers and they will move with normal speed than battery is ok.

If there is no sound it may be bad wire/terminal connections, don't forget those that are on starter and alternator. check ground wires.

Also check clutch switch that turn on starter only with pressed clutch.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:09 AM

if your car started with a boost at one point, its not the starter..
drive for a while with your car.. if it stalls while driving or idling then its your alternator..
if it doesn't stall after a while its your battery..
because while your car is running, your car should not stall at all because you're alternator is charging the car.. but if you have a bad alternator or weak one, then it won't charge the car while running and you'll be running off of battery power and sooner or later your call will stall once you run out of battery power.. boosting a car is a sign that its not a starter unless you have a bad spot on it and by chance you hit a good spot when trying to boost..
another thing would be to check your connections make sure their tight and clean.
Old 04-11-2006, 06:12 AM

personally.. it does sound like the battery.

Questions:

IS this the original battery that came with the car (says "Solite" on it?)

How many miles are on the car?

My original battery gave out around 85,000 miles.

Batteries do die. Over time they hold less and less charge until one day they do not carry enough juice to crank the car over. Sometimes you get warning, sometimes you do not. Usually you do not.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

It's easy to check battery - at first check if there is enough water in the battery, then connect voltmeter and check voltage on terminals with everything off (should be about 12V) then check voltage under load (turb on headlights, blowers, audio), it shouldn't drop ander 11-11.5 V. Then measure voltage while cranking motor with starter - it shouldn't drop under 11V.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Starters can, and do, have intermittant problems when they go out. Not all the time, but it's happened to me on several vehicles.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Tiburon

No power was going to any of my interior accessories. Dome light wouldnt turn on, wipers, headlights or dash lights.

I think TibbyTib figured it out...

I reattached the battery terminal rings and tightened loose wires and such.
Hasnt failed me since.

Thanks for the input guys! wink1.gif