Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car won't start

Old 03-08-2005, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

and why not? i know that sounds stupid. but seriously i have had a car break the timing belt. and it did this exact same thing. had a similar sound. course i bent the valves when that happened. i didnt mean to sound stupid. just trying to give him other options.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:11 PM

It was the starter. I made a few phone calls and my extended warranty company covers the starter headbang.gif

When I called the dealership and told them my situation, the first thing they did ask was about my timing belt. I had it changed like 10k miles ago so a long shot it was the timing belt.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 03-08-2005, 09:13 PM

and we do appreciate it the wide range of options, sometimes we do need to think outside the norm to figure out what the problem is. I also know what it sounds like to bend valves. I bent some on my fiat spider when the belt slipped on the pully when I was attempting to start the car, so while it is possible, it is doubtful in this case.

All the symptoms point to the bad "bendix" on the starter. Probably cheaper to see how much a compleatly rebuilt start would cost than to just try and replace that one piece.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:40 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Acura TL

/// True, not to mention the PITA it is to take the starter apart and then put it back together. But hey, whatever works.

I would suggest a new starter as well. Unless you fix the part that ruined this "bendix" component. It might happen again no??
Old 03-09-2005, 05:13 AM

ok. my apologies good sir, as i am once again counterfactual.