Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Starting Problems

Old 11-24-2008, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

You'll have to fix the wires that are shorting out. The gas pedal arm rubs against the wires, chafing the insulation. That may be the problem its having when shuting down.

The no ignition power problem probably is going to be a blown main fuse from that spark.

You didn't try to start the car after hooking the cables up backwards right?...right?

Old 11-24-2008, 02:50 PM

Vehicle: 2000 Hyundai Tiburon

I had a similar problem that was caused by a loose wire shorting out (it was my mistake, not the car).

It kept blowing the "Ignition Power Source" fuse, which I believe is marked as "J" in the fuse box under the hood. If its not, its a BIG fuse in a Pink casing. They're pretty pricey as far as fuses go, so try to not to pop a lot of them.
Old 11-24-2008, 03:59 PM

I got the car running - it was a blown alternator fuse. Now my problem is the car shutting off after 15 minutes or so. I checked the gas pedal thing, and thats fine. It shuts off whether its being driven or not.
Old 11-25-2008, 02:13 PM

Can you hear a change in the motor as its shuts down? Bogging, stumbling..anything?

Or is it just like someone pulled the plug and it stops?

Have you noticed anything other accessories quiting at the same time? (i.e.) headlights, stereo, domelight

Test the alternator?
Old 11-25-2008, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

Fuel pump cutting out from overheating? (tossing out ideas, no specific suspicion)
Old 11-25-2008, 03:34 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I had those same symptoms when I had my clips off of my MAF sensor, TPS sensor and the coolant temp sensor all at once. Check to make sure those connections are tight. Any of those three suddenly connecting and disconnecting will cause the engine to suddenly surge, possibly die. I'm not sure about the coolant temp sensor, but it will increase idle if disconnected.

It sounds to me like the same thing at least... I drove across town and the car would die on bumps or decelleration.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:52 PM

I'm going to go with ignition Coil getting too hot, but it's only a guess.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:55 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sea-Ray Tech @ Nov 25 2008, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Can you hear a change in the motor as its shuts down? Bogging, stumbling..anything?

Or is it just like someone pulled the plug and it stops?

Have you noticed anything other accessories quiting at the same time? (i.e.) headlights, stereo, domelight

Test the alternator?</div>

Like someone pulled the plug. No accessories act up immediately prior to shutting off.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Stocker @ Nov 25 2008, 05:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Fuel pump cutting out from overheating? (tossing out ideas, no specific suspicion)</div>

Well, the coolant is full, but thats not the only reason for the car to overheat. But the car hasn't seemed like its overheated
Old 11-25-2008, 05:17 PM

Yeah I'm gonna have to go with coil pack on this one as well, that will kill the motor right away. Once it cools back down, its fires off again, and then gets hot and shuts spark down again. Thus the never ending cycle...

Luckily Stocker happens to be selling one, see his forsale thread.

Possible commission on this sale? lmao.gif
Old 11-26-2008, 06:02 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sea-Ray Tech @ Nov 25 2008, 07:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah I'm gonna have to go with coil pack on this one as well, that will kill the motor right away. Once it cools back down, its fires off again, and then gets hot and shuts spark down again. Thus the never ending cycle...

Luckily Stocker happens to be selling one, see his forsale thread.

Possible commission on this sale? lmao.gif</div>

thank you I will definitely check that out. Is there any way for me to tell if the coil pack is bad?