Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Starting Problems

Old 11-21-2008, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is probably more of a general car question than a specific-model question, but anyway here's my problem.

My brother and I just bought a 98 Tiburon today for a beater. It was $500, and the owner said he'd been having problems keeping it running. The car basically would run for 15-25 minutes then turn off. When I bought the car today, the owner started it and we kept it running. Literally as I got in it to drive off, the car turned off. It had been on for about 15 minutes. I tried starting it, but the engine would just crank - not turn over. I waited 5 minutes, tried again, and the car started - but shut off again in 3 minutes. I figured I'd go out and get it a new battery, since the battery in the car looked pretty bad and the old owner said he hadn't ever replaced it. When I came back it was dark, and I managed to put the battery in backwards and put the posi on the negative and vice versa. I realized what I did, switched them back, and went to start the car. When I got in the car, the open door chime and open door light were on, but nothing else - no CEL light on ACC position, no E-brake light, and the engine won't even crank. The dome lights work, the lights on the doors work, the brake light works when I press the brake; but thats it. Nothing else comes on on the dash, and the engine won't do anything.

When I mixed up the battery cables, they sparked, but I didn't notice the smell of anything burning. I found another post on another forum about an '02 Sonata with a similar problem and someone said that if they mixed up the battery cables or jumper cables the main fuse might be blown. Does that sound right?

Any suggestions? Sorry about the long post
Old 11-21-2008, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You need to check some of my previous posts if you think that was a long post!

So... did you check the fuses?
Old 11-21-2008, 07:42 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

this problem sounds familiar... I can't think of what's caused this in the past.

I'd check alternator. I'd also hook up a voltmeter to the battery to see how it changes over the course of those 15 minutes. What happens if you turn headlights/radio/move windows ? Is it draining the battery?

I think it's a sensor problem. I believe the crank position sensor will shut the fuel off after the car warms up if it's loose or fallen out (or bad). I'm guessing it's fuel related rather than power.

When you try to start the car, is it draining the juice? (lights dimming?) is it clicking when you try to start it? is it trying to turn over but just won't make it that last step?

DOH - EDIT - after rereading the post, I'm guessing you blew a fuse with that spark. Check them all under the hood, then check those in the floorboard. I'm guessing it's one of the big ones. As far as the original problem (not the new one you created) see the pre-edit portion of my post.
Old 11-21-2008, 08:42 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (majikTib @ Nov 21 2008, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>DOH - EDIT - after rereading the post, I'm guessing you blew a fuse with that spark. Check them all under the hood, then check those in the floorboard. I'm guessing it's one of the big ones. As far as the original problem (not the new one you created) see the pre-edit portion of my post.</div>

Thanks. That sounds about right, I'll check them tomorrow after work. Where is the main fuse located? And where is the CPS? I haven't gotten a shop manual for it yet 02.gif
Old 11-21-2008, 09:32 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

not sure.

www.hmaservice.com

login:pw
rdtiburon.com : tiburon

FYI, I think:
Crank Position Sensor = CKP
Camshaft Position Sensor = CPS
Old 11-21-2008, 09:34 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Ive always went by CKP and CMP so there is no confusion. Just a note.

Probably blew a fuse but may have caused some damage by putting it in backwards. Check fuses first.
Old 11-22-2008, 05:01 AM

I went on there but couldn't find anywhere that tells me where the main fuse is. I might just not know where to look on the site though. Would it be called the main fuse?
Old 11-22-2008, 07:10 AM

Vehicle: 2008/Hyundai/Tiburon gt

main fuse check

and main power relay

also you might have fried all you sensors..

+= red
-= neg
Old 11-22-2008, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Sounds again, a LOT like the issue we had with the famous Green RD1 that me, Cisco, ABQElantra/Role Reversal owned, and now Javageek owns.

Get on the floor at the drivers side (inside) on your back, and follow the gas pedal up to the gas pedal arm, up to the top where the accelerator cable attaches. See if when you push on the pedal if the top of the arm hits the ECU harness where it comes over.

There are always several causes, but I've seen this happen on 2 cars so far and really cause unfindable havok.
Old 11-22-2008, 04:49 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RED ZMAN @ Nov 22 2008, 12:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Sounds again, a LOT like the issue we had with the famous Green RD1 that me, Cisco, ABQElantra/Role Reversal owned, and now Javageek owns.

Get on the floor at the drivers side (inside) on your back, and follow the gas pedal up to the gas pedal arm, up to the top where the accelerator cable attaches. See if when you push on the pedal if the top of the arm hits the ECU harness where it comes over.

There are always several causes, but I've seen this happen on 2 cars so far and really cause unfindable havok.</div>

if this is indeed the problem, what do I do to fix it?