Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Overheating

Old 06-14-2009, 05:05 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

You may not have a coolant problem at all. When I installed my turbo, we kept getting hot when I was on the highway or when the car was under load. I got a Koyo radiator, which helped TREMENDOUSLY, but, every once in a while on hot days and pulling a hill, my temp gauage would still begin to climb.

One day, I was going over the engine and just decided to check a few bolts on top and make sure they were torqued correctly. 3 of my bottom turbo manifold nuts were loose! AND....the bolts and nuts holding my turbo to the manifold were just a little loose as well. Come to find out, for some reason, these bolts worked there way loose and they were dumping exhaust DIRECTLY on the hard coolant pipe that runs across the front of the engine!!! Once I got these loose bolts tightened up properly, no more overheating!

So, you might check a few things:

1. Make sure the tubo manifold is properly torqued and tight to the head.

2. Make sure the turbo is securely attached to the turbo manifold.

3. carefully inspect the exhaust manifold gasket AND the turbo-to-manifold gaskets. Look for signs of exhaust tracing around the edges of the gaskets, as damaged gaskets could also leak hot exhaust on that hard coolant pipe.

The most amazing thing of this story is the quality and performance of the koyo radiator. Simply AMAZING! I would recommend this to anyone who is pushing their engines to their peak limits, whether you are NA or FI.
Old 06-15-2009, 02:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Jun 13 2009, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>sleeper, that looks like the treadstone manifold i'm using. My turbo is setup just like yours, can you post more pics? I'm interested on how you routed the intake. Do you still have A/C? I still have it and don't really want to lose it... Where/what fans are you running?

Any idea how I would know if it's the water pump?</div>

Hey sorry for the really late reply man. Been super busy. I DO still have A/C. I assuming by "intake" you just mean the cold side of the turbo (side with the filter attached). Here's a picture of how I have it:

It's a tight fit, and a PITA to change the filter/remove it, but it fits, without rubbing or being too close to anything.

As for the fans, I'm only running one, on the driver side of the koyo and it's set as a puller. 1400cfm if I remember right. Oddly enough, it automatically switches on when I try to run the a/c, so I was covered there. It basically pulls double duty. Like I've said, I have never had my car overheat once since the koyo install and after replacing my faulty water pump. But I'm sure the bigger factor in that is the newer water pump over the koyo. wink1.gif
Old 06-15-2009, 02:19 PM
Banned

impressive on the intake.. i was gonna do that with my kits, but didn't think it would fit.. the intakes on my kits go straight down.
Old 06-15-2009, 04:17 PM

Vehicle: 2001 hyundai tiburon

well, it wouldnt fit there if he had ABS. nana.gif
Old 06-15-2009, 08:23 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Thanks for the pic sleeper! Yeah I thought about routing the intake that way, but it looked like it wouldn't clear the PS pump. Might be a little different with my compressor, looks like a TIGHT fit on yours. Is the intake pipe 2.5? (i see a reducer from the turbo inlet, im guessing 3" to 2.5")

I have it like Nate said, straight down, but I doubt that would fit with the Koyo haha

Yes, when A/C is turned on both stock fans turn on regardless of coolant temp.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:42 PM

I just replaced the shroud and fan with a huge straight-blade kickass fan (14", 1650cfm, JEGS # 555-52132), and for now it seems all my overheating problems are solved woohoo
Old 06-26-2009, 05:57 PM

good to hear bud. it scared me when i was building that DP for you how close it was to the rad.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

LOL @ 1650CFM holy overkill batman! I'm glad it worked for you.

Now, get another one and a big fat intercooler . . . .
Old 06-27-2009, 06:46 AM

No, overkill would be a koyo rad and two of these 2950CFM fvckers LOL:

Old 06-27-2009, 07:07 AM

lol.

i could see you having all that installed, sitting at a stop light and the fans push your car backwards. nana.gif