Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Car Overheating

Old 06-13-2009, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2006 Pontiac GTO

Right after I installed my turbo kit, the car started overheating in traffic.
I had stock radiator and a single 10" puller fan on the driver's side. The turbo was really close to the radiator though on the passenger side and was heating it quite a bit.

So I got a honda half-core radiator and made it sit only on the driver's side, away from the turbo. It was a lot better, although it still overheated occasionally in traffic (I can watch the exact coolant temperature on the CarPC via OBD2). So then I purchased a shroud and 12" fan to replace the 10" fan. This made it better when moving slowly or idling, but now it overheats a lot easier on the highway. The 12" fan, although bigger, doesn't seem to push as much air as the 10" I was using (40W vs 80W), plus the shroud obstruct some of the flow at high speeds.

Next and only step I can think of is to add the 10" fan also as a pusher, in front of the evaporator.

Anybody has any other ideas on how to improve the cooling system? The thermostat has been changed and is good, the radiator gets very hot, and the air that comes through it pushed by the fan is pretty hot also. The system has been flushed. I am using a coolant/water mix of something between 40/60 and 50/50, using Redline water wetter also. I burped the system, but might not have done it completely, should I try again? I doubt this is the problem, as I said the radiator gets pretty hot..

Also a curiosity, the hot air that came in through the radiator - where is it normally supposed to go? Under the engine and then away from the car? I did not put back the two plastic splash covers under the engine, does that make any difference?

Thanks, and sorry for the long rambling post
Old 06-13-2009, 05:58 PM

get a koyo....why would you go to a smaller radiator when your over heating with the larger one? more air space means more cooling.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:02 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

^^ If he has a turbo he may not have the room for a Koyo radiator. I am running the same setup with a FAL fan possibly being the only difference (you didn't say what fan you had). I can't remember, do you have a body kit? How much air flow is the radiator getting? You may have to add another vent right in front of the radiator if the intercooler is in the way.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:11 PM

only1, the halfcore is more than two times thicker than the stock one, so I figured it would be almost as good but won't be heated by the turbo. I also went by the few people who had it and it worked well for them (better than stock). The turbo would barely fit with stock rad, there is no way to get a koyo in there

Java, I have the stock bumper. The intercooler is not too big, it sits behind and under the bumper support ( http://i409.photobucket.com/albums/pp180/r...nstalled010.jpg ) I have a 40W fan that was sold by those who made the radiator and shroud. By the way, I noticed the fan turns on when coolant is at about 205F, but does the fan stay on even at highway speeds? And does it help increase the airflow at those speeds?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:15 PM

Maybe try bleed the system. My radiator blew 2 weeks ago. And when bleeding the system i noticed the lower radiator hose was So cold. I changed the thermostat and the lower hose was almost as got as the top hose(normal). Which meant the thermostat was workin. Just a thought. Or else maybe the tuning is not right. Water pump is good?
Posted by cell and when intoxicated..
So ignore no paragraphs.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:17 PM

I will try bleeding it some more, tho i hate how it spills over when it expands haha
Both hoses are hot. Water pump should be ok. I am using an OBX underdrive crank pulley tho, could that affect cooling?
Old 06-13-2009, 07:33 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

my car overheats too, but contrary to you, the fan doesn't kick in at all. the fan works and all the fuses are good. im suspecting my coolant sensor is bad.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:40 PM

+1 for the koyo. I have had it since i went turbo, and even with the underdrive crank pulley, I have NEVER overheated. The koyo is top notch and is pretty much a "drop in" part. To testify to it's awesomeness, I've only had my radiator fan come on twice since I installed in, and that's in 90 degree weather in traffic. My temp needle rarely makes it halfway up the gauge.

Here's some pics of my koyo installed with my T3 to show fit:

As you can see, the fit is REALLY tight, but it hasn't caused me any problems so far, and I drive it pretty hard.
The only thing I had to do was drill a couple holes to move the top radiator supports forward, which tilted it slightly and made just enough room.

Before droppin the money on it though, I'd definitely check every other part of the cooling system. I had a VERY similar problem to yours and after killing myself for two months trying to diagnose it, it ended up being a bad water pump (which didn't show any of the traditional symptoms).

Hopefully this helps
Old 06-13-2009, 07:41 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (radu_rd2 @ Jun 14 2009, 03:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>I will try bleeding it some more, tho i hate how it spills over when it expands haha
Both hoses are hot. Water pump should be ok. I am using an OBX underdrive crank pulley tho, could that affect cooling?</div>

it would start to overheat rigth away if there were air bubbles in it...bleeding it is not going to help you. it sounds like its just heatsoaked. perhaps hood spacers?? to try and vent some of the heat? or a vented hood...i dont really know what they make for the tib anymore.

do you have header wrap on all of your tubes? how much psi are you running? perhaps its going past the turbo's effeciency and heating it up too much. is the turbo water cooled?
Old 06-13-2009, 08:05 PM

sleeper, that looks like the treadstone manifold i'm using. My turbo is setup just like yours, can you post more pics? I'm interested on how you routed the intake. Do you still have A/C? I still have it and don't really want to lose it... Where/what fans are you running?

Any idea how I would know if it's the water pump?

only1, my DP is wrapped (although with only 1 layer). I also have a heat-shield around the turbine housing. Manifold is log-style cast, nothing to wrap. I am only running a few psi, but the car overheats in warm weather even if i NEVER boost at all.. Turbo is not watercooled