Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI sucked up water and stalled engine...

Old 07-07-2004, 11:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 red tiburon 4 sale!

All right, I'm gonna hear it from now until eternity, and I know I was stupid but hear me out and please just help me out if you can...

I've got an AEM CAI. I managed to break off the bottom splash guard lining that protects the filter from debris (that's another story).

I was driving my sister to school, and we were on this road behind the school, and it was flooded since it was raining hard. Well I didn't know that it was THAT deep, so I drove through it and I was already in it before it was too late. Anyways, I was going through slow and then I guess the filter got submerged and the intake just totally choked, and water got all the way up in there. (This is where the Bypass Valve might have helped).

So luckily there was a parking lot right where I was, and as the car stalled and died out, I still had some momentum, and without the power steering I managed to get myself into the parking lot entrance. I was kinda blocking traffic but whatever, irrelevant.

I know I shouldn't have done it, but I tried starting the engine, but nothing - I'd get a click but no turn over. I tried a couple times and then gave up. I called my dad and he said to just wait it out and maybe the water would drain itself out. Well I waited half an hour and then tried again and nothing still.

So armed with nothing more than this little metal clip that holds my garage opener to the sun visor, I took that as my tool and proceeded to dismantle my entire Intake. I took off the clamps and took out the MAF; it was filled with some water, so I dumped out the water. I took off the rubber curve, removed the water in there. Mind you, it's still raining outside and I've got my hood open - so I just tried to cover the engine bay with a blanket in my trunk. Anyways, I got to the throttle body, and there was some excess H2O in there, and I used some tissue to soak it up.

After all that was done, and put back together, I got back in the car, and after a few tries, I got some raspy (like a cough) sounds coming from the engine, and it sounded like it wanted to turn over. Well on like my 5th try, I got it to turn on and I was able to drive it. YAY! As I drove home, I noticed that there was a lot of "steam/white smoke" coming from my exhaust, I didn't kno what to make of that, except that if it's steam it makes sense.

Well here's the bad part. I took the car in to get an oil change today, and my oil was watered down and tannish-brown. Not Good. The guy changing it told me to get some service or something b/c that was very odd. And now the car is still raspy when I turn over the ignition, and when it sits in Park, I get this clicking sound. I tried gunning the engine to see if I could loosen up any residual water or whatever, but I still got it. After driving for about 15-20 min then it seems to go away.

My question is, how much should i worry and what do I need to do? Will Hyundai take care of me under the warranty? (I doubt it, b/c i installed the CAI)

HELP ONLY PLZ. If there are comments, please just make them quick... Thanks for reading.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:03 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul
Default CAI sucked up water and stalled engine...

Doode, FLOODED ROAD.

LOL

I'm not laughing AT you okay?

Wow. I'd say to get it all cleaned up as best you can, put the stock intake back on, run some engine cleaner thru it, and see what happens. Get the cylinders pressure tested and such.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:19 AM

Vehicle: Hyosung GT650
Default found this on a honda board

I don't want to frighten you, but I'd get a pressure check done (as REDZ said) b/c sucking in a gut full of cold water on top of hot pistons could cause some nasty damage mang.
You will prolly need a new filter as well b/c it may be clogged and restrickting your air flow.
GOOD LUCK!
If you want to cross rivers, get a 4x4. tongue.gif
Old 07-08-2004, 04:55 AM

Vehicle: 2000 Tiburon

the car said shark so he thought... ...COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!

man this is a first, i havent read any stories of peeps sucking up water, this is great, very well written, man that $shit made me laugh,

sorry dude.

yea cold water on hot cylinder heads is not good, it might of cracked piston rings.

but i dont understand why didnt it turn over when you first pulled in to the parking lot?
Old 07-08-2004, 05:36 AM

He hydrolocked it. Chances are you filled the cylinders with water.. and water (or any liquid for that matter) does not compress. Because it was able to drain away like that, I am going to assume you did some damage.. either broken rings or cracked pistons. You probably also did a LOT of damage to your bearings. Water and machined steel do not mix.. That brown gooey mess that was in your crankcase was water mixed with oil. It looks a LOT like a Chocolate Milkshake.

I do not know what to tell you... your insurance cover flood damage?
Old 07-08-2004, 06:37 AM

I posted a story about my friend's Celica doing this. He had to get a whole new engine.
Old 07-08-2004, 10:20 AM

yeah, i had this happen in my old pontiac. i blew a head gasket and warped the head (aluminum).... which got water in the oil. it was all foamy and light brown.

i had to get a new engine.

i really hope that's not your only option chris.
Old 07-08-2004, 11:40 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Again guys, I don't recommend the AEM Bypass Valves, you lose the gains you get with your CAI, leaks and such. BUT, if you don't get one, like I always say, don't drive in anything deeper than the bottom of your bumper.
Old 07-08-2004, 03:11 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

sorry dude... your engine is phucked.

http://search.ebay.com/elantra-engine_W0QQ...ntrypageZsearch
Old 07-08-2004, 11:48 PM

The car still runs fine, does that matter?