Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI On A Rev A

Old 07-24-2006, 05:46 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

yeah. CAI is the biggest/cheapest/quickest improvement, followed by a catback, 1.8 L cam, headers. and if you have money, you can add about 100 hp by getting a RDT turbo kit.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah well..Im still in year 12..finishin of the school now..so dont have a lot of cash just to spend like that..so thats whats holding me back..and like addin all these mods to a hyundai..dunno..i kinda want a big powerful car... cos now riding in this one..its sometimes a pain..shopping centers..parkings..wherever theres speed humps..i keep hittin the bottom of the car..if i go diagonal its even worse...once i had 5 ppl in the car..i thought ill get stuck on the speed hump.

Oh yeah..and ive already got the headers..and as i said b4 had the good cannon, but that got taken off..im goin to wait for some time then put it back on..
Old 07-24-2006, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

If your friends think Hyundai's are crap, it's time for new friends, or a lesson for them.

Hyundai's are some of the best cars made these days. And the Tibs are definately nice.

Those FG intakes are ugly as hell, who'd want something that restrictive?

As for QUALITY, there is a huge difference between the CLONES and the actual AEM's. The clones almost always have jagged edges, metal shavings and filings inside the tube, and if you look at the side tubes where the vaccum hoses attach, they almost always are welded very shoddily, or have large hunks of metal sticking into the air passage.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:01 PM

Where'd you get an AEM for 145 Redz? I cant find one for less than 205!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 05:11 PM

Yeah i know AEM are way better than those clones. But look at the price, if i try to get something here from local shops, it will cost me probably 400$. Looking on ebay US its like around 200$ + shipment. So if there wasnt such a massive difference i thought ill just get the crappy one and be happy lol, but i see theres not much point doing that.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:19 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

A group buy I ran on Hyundaiaftermarket.com
Old 07-24-2006, 05:49 PM

Ahhh!!!!
Old 07-24-2006, 06:33 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

Make your own CAI, like I did. col96fx also made his own; his one is ghey though... j/k Col nana.gif

I didn't want to pay $180 to ship a $30 part from the States, so I bought some stainless steel mandrel bends on ebay locally, a few silicone couplers, worm-gear clamps & my good ol' K&N 3" filter. It does the job fing02.gif
Old 07-24-2006, 06:59 PM
MKE

hey oz, can you elaborate more on that custom CAI? The diy is no longer working...and im in the same boat as ozv4. i was litterally just about to buy the ebay CAI (apparently the injen clone one) and then i read this thread. but i dont have 200$ to put out for a cai, especially since im saving for the turbo kit that's been rumored around here, but i want something now...i plan on getting the 1.8l cam, and the ebay kits are lookin pretty good right now on my budget.

but if it's just as easy to make your own, i'd be interested to see some actual pics as to how (mainly how to make the maf sensor fit)
Old 07-24-2006, 07:34 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

^ Sorry about the crappy picture quality (camera phone, bad lighting & unsteady hand lmao.gif ) but this is fairly recent...

Here are some older but better pics...

Basically, I used two 90deg bends & a 45 deg bend. I used 3" polished stainless steel but aluminium would suffice & be easier to cut & work with. I trimmed & filed them down as much as was required to get them all to line up the way I wanted them to. I angled the battery & added a bracket to support the tray. I enlarged an existing hole in the chassis so as to feed my CAI piping through to the fender well/ behind the fog in front bumper: filter goes on the piping there.

Because you have a MAF sensor, you really just need to add piping after the MAF. You'll probably only need a 45 degree bend & a 90 degree bend.

You'll also need to move or remove your EVAP canister if you have a Rev A Tiburon/Coupe.