Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI On A Rev A

Old 07-23-2006, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

All the pollution gear must be kept intact and working if running a CAI, cops will usually give you a defect notice regardless and make you go to an engineer and have an Emissions test done to certify that your new CAI doesn't change your emissions levels...

Basically it's a pain, if it's not done properly, if you do it all by the book, Emissions gear still intact and sensibly located you shouldn't have too many drama's. I take it your car is pretty much stock appearance, so your not exactly going to be hassled by the cops if you drive responsibly.

CAI won't really boost your performance by any real noticable margin, save your cash up and get a set of wheels, a good set of 17's with tyres should be around the figure of 1100-1300, even lowering would give your car a good look for around $400, to give your car a good and noticable performance lift your looking at around the same figure as wheels and tyres. I.e Cams and Intake Manifold.
Old 07-23-2006, 10:20 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Osv4 @ Jul 24 2006, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>OzFxCoupe so if i bought that one as you gave me the link to, do i need any other parts? or just that one? Do they give a lot of those defects notices?</div>
Just that... no other parts are needed & it won't be defectable as the filter won't be exposed in the engine bay.

I've heard of lots of people getting defected for stupid things... don't do stupid things wink1.gif
Old 07-24-2006, 12:50 AM

Yeah well my car is already lowered than stock. But its a pain in the ass with speed humps!

Stupid things..well i had the cannon on the back, everything was fine but i had to move to new property and there is this old guy who keeps clicking at me as my music is too loud and all this, he reported me to the EPA and i had to take the cannon off, replace it back to the stock exhaust system, perfom all this noise tests it cost me like 500$ all up.

Aust_RD You say it doesnt boost perfomance but like it says it does boost by like 5-10hp. Even the cannon replacement had an impact on the acceleration, now the revs increase heaps faster than i gain speed..it killed the acceleration.

OzFxCoupe Umm...just one more stupid question, how do u search for that type of CAI? Cos i always search but all i see are the crappy 10$ ones.
Old 07-24-2006, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 1997 RD Tiburon

Never said it didn't.......I said barely noticable. 5-10Hp@Flywheel is a barely noticable gain.

OSV4 try www.flyrydes.com he has the genuine AEM Intake for 130ish US. Still around $200, but proven and trusted.
Old 07-24-2006, 02:13 AM

Oh..soz..didnt read it close enough..i supose the car doesnt have that much power and there isnt a point gettin all those expencive upgrades..other people keep payin me out that i drive a hyundai...as it is a s**t car..but i like it..it goes alright..so i just saw those 10$ systems and was like ohh thats nuthin..but appreatenly if its not an AEM it doesnt do that much for you..so its just a waste of money then..
Old 07-24-2006, 02:53 AM

Vehicle: 1997 Hyundai Fx Coupe

I just type "tiburon 97" into the search bar on ebay.com & also narrow it down to "cars, bikes & boats" (or whatever it is); that should bring up all the useful stuff for your car (it'll bring up all the "suits 96, 98, 99, etc items too).

The AEM knockoffs should produce similar gains to the real ones, main difference being the filter, which you could always replace for a better (say K&N) one when the ebay one starts to get dirty, rather than stuffing about trying to clean & re-oil it... they're usually pretty crappy cone filters with those things.

You could've just gotten a bigger & better resonator instead of getting rid of your cannon muffler & noise testing & all that; would've cost you under $100 including labour instead of $500.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:33 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

You can buy both the AEM knockoff and the ingen knock-off you picked out in the first topic. That one comes with the chrome Y pipe for the elbow replacement. Other then the Y pipe, the Injen knock-off is worthless.
Old 07-24-2006, 05:02 AM

OK...im completly new to this..what does it mean by Y pipe?....

OzFxCoupe, yeah thats what i was planning to do..but the guys said its not worth doin that cos it wont silence it down enough for it to pass. Apperantly the law states 90db reading and a stock muffler wit a hole in it will go over it...I have the extractors from the engine and the cannon, i went to these muffler guys and they put a stock muffler on the back. I did the noise test and it failed it! I was about to shoot that guy cos the test cost me 60$ (for 10mins of work) and i had to fix it again. So i put a resinator in there which basicly killed the engine and if i pushed the car i could blew up something in the engine. Luckily i passed the test with another 50$ for it....and was about to put the cannon back on, cos i thought its just a random thing, however, i found out that my neihbour snitched on me..so if i did put it back on he would do it again and i would have to go thru it all again. Im in Aus for 2 years now and i hate the laws here..some of it is just funny...they just want to piss off young drives "as its a way to stop them doing stupid stuff"...
Old 07-24-2006, 05:25 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

here's a pic of my engine bay.

It's the chrome pipe at the top of the CAI near the intake manifold.

Old 07-24-2006, 05:28 AM

oh yeah...cool..thanks..damn everyones like "dont waste ur many on the hyundai..its crap anyway".. is it worth gettin the CAI without any other mods?