Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI Question

Old 02-14-2005, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Why do you have it sticking under the car... it'll get all dirty real fast. Even then, you don't have anything to worry about unless you go into a puddle thats deep enough to submerge the entire thing. Ex. foot and a half deep. Drive in the center of the road and you should have no problems.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:55 PM

I love driving through puddles, especialy the big ones, i drove through about a 6" puddle today, i had no problems but i have my CAI up high soooo it wont suck up any water, how deep can a tib probably go without having problams?
Old 02-14-2005, 07:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

A car is fine until the water gets high enough to get into the engine. Thats when you start getting problems. Thats why you see offroad vehicles with the giant snorkle looking air intakes, so they can go through rivers and stuff.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>I love driving through puddles, especialy the big ones, i drove through about a 6" puddle today, i had no problems but i have my CAI up high soooo it wont suck up any water, how deep can a tib probably go without having problams?</div>

You'll know when you have problems when your engine locks up..
Old 02-14-2005, 08:28 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Kit-Fox)</div><div class='quotemain'>I love driving through puddles, especialy the big ones, i drove through about a 6" puddle today, i had no problems but i have my CAI up high soooo it wont suck up any water, how deep can a tib probably go without having problams?</div>

you dont have a CAI. you have a WAI, or warm air intake.

how deep, take a yardstick and measure from the ground to the bottom of your filter. thats how deep. wink1.gif
Old 02-15-2005, 09:23 AM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KayJai)</div><div class='quotemain'>That won't do CRAP for water.
A little splash of water or even a HUGE splash won't hurt your filter.
It's when you FULLY put the filter inside a puddle of water that you may suck up and seize your engine</div>

I know, I know....I'm a perfectionist man...it's just me! lol

Of course a splash of water won't hurt it (they're washable.....lol) but I just don't like my filter being all muddy and making my engine bay look dirty. It's just me, that's all. You can't see the underside of the "splash gaurd/heat-shield" which catches all the mud...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine)</div><div class='quotemain'>as for peace of mine he gets from that shield.. that is priceless...</div>

Haha, yeeess.........exactly lol
Old 02-15-2005, 08:23 PM

Alright guys heres the deal. all you need is a teaspoon of water to screw your engine over. we did this as a project in my auto class. if a teaspoon of water gets sucked through the intake and gets compressed in the cylinders you will get seized, bent, or broken internal engine parts.

Now having crappy luck. I had a 98 eclipse that got hydrolocked, and also cracked the block and broke most of the internal engine parts. I had AEM's V2 Cold Air Induction. This happened in 3 inches of water. With 18 inch rims and no adjustments to the suspension. the rims raised the car about an inch also. During hurricane frances (1 of the 3 Hurricanes that hit Florida Within a month and a half of each other). I would personally recomend the bypass. Its 15 dollars compared to the $4000 it will take to fix my eclipse.

So instead of fixing it i got a hyundai. the eclipse is in the garage though waiting to be fixed. thats my story of how i got a tib. while expaining that water sucks!!
Old 02-15-2005, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

You are right, that's all it takes, as you cannot COMPRESS Water.

However, the difficult part is getting it to SUCK UP WATER that far.

If you do it, you drive like a moron.

laugh.gif: