Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

CAI Question

Old 02-14-2005, 02:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (free2roamaz)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you are really that worried about intaking more than a safe level of water, you could try getting yourself a heat shield. I don't think it will decrease performance like a bypass valve, but personally I don't think it is worth the money for it, but it would offer a little bit more of a safegaurd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634</div>

That's what I have, it won't help you if your intake is submerged (like a 1+ foot puddle or however high in feet your intake is off the ground) but it acts as a splash gaurd for me. It's worth it imo, especially where I drive
Old 02-14-2005, 02:25 PM

wouldn't you want the heat shield facing up so that it reflects the engine heat off it, not vice versa?

Would you say the Bypass valve decreases performance significantly?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

My GOD:

OKay It's CALLED a heat-shield.
I use it as a splash gaurd.

^Got it?

I would not actually spend my money on a thin piece of aluminum thinking it would magically deflect heat from reaching my intake instantly causing a huge hp increase....it's not like it's cooling the air around it or anything (I don't think it even would work as a heat shield). But I do know a thin piece of aluminum will deflect water spray from hitting the surface of my intake filter (which is the purpose i intended the so called "heat-shield" for.....

duh.gif
Old 02-14-2005, 02:31 PM

ok, lol chill, how much of a performance drop is there if the bypass valve is used?
Old 02-14-2005, 02:43 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Off the 3whp the AEM gives to the top end you would probably lose 1.5 of them...
Old 02-14-2005, 02:44 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (free2roamaz)</div><div class='quotemain'>If you are really that worried about intaking more than a safe level of water, you could try getting yourself a heat shield. I don't think it will decrease performance like a bypass valve, but personally I don't think it is worth the money for it, but it would offer a little bit more of a safegaurd.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...&category=38634</div>

That won't do CRAP for water.
A little splash of water or even a HUGE splash won't hurt your filter.
It's when you FULLY put the filter inside a puddle of water that you may suck up and seize your engine
Old 02-14-2005, 04:11 PM

it may however, keep his filter cleaner in the long run... And as for peace of mine he gets from that shield.. that is priceless...

BTW, you might be surprised how much heat a small and thin piece of metal can deflect.. by keeping an airspace between what you are trying to protect and the source of the heat, it CAN make a difference.
Old 02-14-2005, 05:52 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

The deal is guys, if you are going thru water DEEP ENOUGH TO SUCK IT INTO THE INTAKE FILTER, then the water should be about the depth of your door sills.

This is stupid.

DRIVE AROUND PUDDLES.

No problem.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:40 PM

^^^ I'll get you some pics of where i have my cai and you'll see why i'm worried bro. It sticks out under the bottom of the car (where the air is coooolest) a lil bit. I'm not worried to much about bottoming out and cracking it off (b/c my whole kit would be gone in the process, really the cai is the least of my problems if this happens) so i figure it's the best spot for it.

Call me paranoid but i love my tib and don't want the same misfortune as my bud. He had tons of $$ into his car and now has to start over or get a new engine and spend wayyyy more . I try as much as possible to avoid puddles but there are always those times where you go to take a hit and someone steers for you :smoking: ... or your just not really f*cking paying attention.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:50 PM

I rememeber once pulling into a dirt parking lot after a rainstorm in the truck I used to drive... you have to remember, this particular GMC box truck stood just as high as a big rig.. and ran the same rims and tyres... I hit a hole in that puddle that actually submerged the front bumper.. we are talking a waist deep puddle here... no warning either.. granted, NO intake would have saved a car from that particular hole... but what I am saying is, you need to be careful.

And Redz.. driving around the water is not always a viable idea.. I have been caught in some rainstorms that dumped a foot of water on me while I was going down the Pennsylvania Turnpike.. everyone dropped to about 10mph and you could not pull over because the shoulders were over a foot deep....