Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

A/c Not Working

Old 06-08-2007, 09:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First of all, my tib is boosted.
The original A/C fan has been moved to the driver's side.
I put 9 inch slim fan (puller type) on the passenger side.

Today, very weird thing happened.
It was almost 100 degrees out there around 2:00 PM, and I was driving on a local road.
Suddenly, my A/C not working. only warm air coming out of the vents while the water temperature was going up to almost close to red zone.
whenever i turn off the A/C, the water temperature goes down.

After an hour i was driving on a highway going around 70 mph without A/C on = no overheating problem.
I turned on the A/C and it was working for only 3 mins, and the water temp went up = No cold air from vents, only warm or hot air.

I drove about 3 hours and the outside temperature dropped because it was raining.
I turned on the A/C, and it was working without overheating.

I'm suspecting that the A/C condensor is not cooled properly because it is blocked by my FMIC.

Can I fix this problem by putting the fan in front on the A/C condensor?

please help!
Old 06-08-2007, 10:13 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

ON-VEHICLE INSPECTION
  1. Check condenser fins for blockage or damage. If the fins are clogged, clean them with pressurized water. NOTEBe careful not to damage the fins.
  1. Make sure that drive belt is installed correctly. Check that the drive belt fits properly in the ribbed grooves.
  1. Check drive belt tension. If the proper tensions are not maintained, belt slippage will greatly reduce air conditioning performance and drive belt life. To avoid such adverse effects, the following service procedure should be followed:
    1. Any belt that has operated for a minimum of one half-hour is considered to be a "used" belt. Adjust air conditioning drive belt at the time of new-car preparation.
    1. Check drive belt tension at regular service intervals and adjust as needed.CONDITION
      LENGTH (mm)
      After Driving
      Approximately 8
      Used Belt
      6 - 7
      New Belt
      5 - 5.5
  1. Start the engine.
  1. Turn On the A/C Switch. Check that the A/C operates at each position of the blower switch.
  1. Check magnetic clutch operation.
  1. Check idle RPM increasing. When the magnetic clutch engaged, idle RPM should be increased (refer to engine section).
  1. Check condenser fan motor rotation. IG. KEY
    A/C switch
    ECT sensor sensing temp.
    CONDENSER
    FAN MOTOR
    ON
    ON
    -
    ON

OFF
    Below 107°C
    OFF

Above 107°C
    ON
    OFF
    -
    -
    OFF
FOOT1. ECT = Engine Coolant Temperature
  1. If no cooling or it is insufficient, inspect for leakage. Using a gas leak detector, inspect each component of the refrigeration system.
that's the checks... I copied and pasted from webtech. It says the condenser should be on when ECT is higher then 107.
Old 06-08-2007, 10:42 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

Mine does the EXACT same thing. The super high temps are just making it harder on your whole cooling system. I can always use a/c while driving down the highway though. At those speeds fans don't kick on anyways. (I think they shut off after 35 mph)

You need two fans capable of cooling with the turbo on there. I've been planning on putting a couple in front of the radiator to save room. Of course I've been planning that since I ran into this problem last summer.
Old 06-08-2007, 11:25 PM

my problem is that the water temperature still goes up when outside temp is very hot while i am driving at 65 mph on highway whenever i turn on A/C, and warm or hot air coming out of the vents.
when the outside temp is not that hot, and i am crusing on a highway, i get cool and cold air coming from A/C without the temp going up.

Oh one more thing!!!
I haven't checked my A/C gas level since i bought the car in 2001, but the air temp is still the same when my A/C is working.
Old 06-09-2007, 01:35 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

If your actual water temp gague on your instrument cluster is rising, you may need a new thermostat. The thermostats on our cars are so accurate that the temp gauge bearly deflects above warmed up.
Old 06-10-2007, 07:35 AM

this is actually a simple fix. With the car running and the air on... check to see which way the fan is pushing it's air.

Chances are, it is pushing air out the front of your car.

The fact that you get new cooling and your temps shoot through the roof whenever you turn on the air is the indicator. If the fan is blowing backwards, it will work fine at idle.. but the moment you start driving, the air coming in through the grill negates the air from the fan and vice versa, keeping both the radiator and the condensor from being cooled.

It's also an easier and quicker check than going through all your wiring, t-state, and cooling levels
Old 06-14-2007, 02:47 PM

I have a similar problem. My A/C will not work sometimes when its super hot. Yesterday I got home and was looking at the side of my car when I could smell and hear something. I opened the hood and my antifreeze was dumping out of the reserve bay onto my serpentine and boiling. It left a small size puddle on the floor. My engine felt super hot. Though it was a hot day yesterday. I thought maybe the engine got too hot and it purged some antifreeze. Today it didn't do that. Also my fans have sounded like they have been staying on about ten seconds longer when I shut the car off. I started thinking about what the problem could be and thermostat was the only thing I could thing of... anyone have any idea or a similar problem?

to sum it up...

fans stay on about ten seconds after i shut car off
my A/C sometimes doesn't work
antifreeze dumped out from reserve tank
Old 06-14-2007, 04:04 PM

Vehicle: 2001/Hyundai/Tiburon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Jun 10 2007, 09:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Chances are, it is pushing air out the front of your car.</div>

that sounds like a possibility since he said he moved that fan over from the other side.
Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM

Alright guys. Update!

I found that the fan on the passenger side was pushing toward the front of the car. Backwards!!

I took it out and put it in front of the A/C condensor, and it is pushing the air toward the engine now!

No more overheating, and my A/C is super cold now! LOL

Thanks guys!!
Old 06-19-2007, 05:05 PM

so my engine is overheating and the a/c isn't working. my antifreeze is full to normal. how can i get the fans to kick on without using the a/c, so i can see if the fans are properly cooling my engine? oh and where is the thermostat located? cuz i'm going to go to autozone and replace that.