Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Brake Lights Wont Turn Off!

Old 11-12-2008, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok so before I get too in depth with the problem, I should probably start with a little background. I just finished swapping in a new motor and transmission. The only modifications to the wiring from the autotragic harness (swapped to manual) were the ones listed in the DIY thread. That meaning I cut a wire and I rewired another to a constant 12v source. Outside of that, I cut and wired the two wires from the range selector switch harness from the auto, to run to the starter switch on the clutch pedal. Now I've already confirmed that all of the wiring I've done so far is correct. I've double and triple checked all of them.

The problem now is that when i plug in the car's battery, the brake lights are illuminated (always on). I've messed with the brake light switch on the pedal to no avail. I've even taken the switch out and pressed the button with my finger and nothing happens. Unplugging the thing even has no effect. Thinking the switch was bad, I even swapped in the old one from the auto brake pedal, which also had no effect. Does anyone know what could possibly be the problem? I'm running out of ideas here. This is essentially the last thing I need to get right to take the manual transmission out for its maiden voyage, and I'm DYING.

Thanks guys hail.gif

Old 11-12-2008, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

You went for a drive... does your cruise control work? My hunch says no.

Hyundaitechinfo doesn't have an RD tiburon section, so here's a 2000 RD elantra's stop lamps diagram:

And here is part A and part B of the cruise system.

To clarify: you just converted from auto to manual transaxle in your car, and the only wiring you messed with, was on the ECM and the one plug on the transaxle.

One thing occurs to me: I don't know how it could happen, but did you crush any wiring with the manual brake pedal, or the clutch pedal, or maybe the TCM when you were fooling around under there? I don't recall that the wires are just hanging out for the crushing, but that seems the most likely place for a short to have been induced. Where did you get your 12v for the ECM wire?

looking at the diagram, the wiring harness for a car with cruise should be different... was the brake light switch plug on your donor car different from the plug on your driver? ... looking closer, this is a lot different and the brakes and cruise are all tangled up. You'll be a hero if you get your cruise working after the swap. Somebody else figure this out for us while I'm at work!

One thing you can do that will give SOME necessary information: Unplug fuse 3... It is to be hoped that your stop lamps are now OFF. If not, well. . . wow.
Old 11-12-2008, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the quick reply Stocker. Yeah I'm about to go check for any crushed wires and whatnot now. I didn't see any before, but it can't hurt to check again. As for the brake light switches, they were identical from the two pedals (auto and manual). I'm starting to wonder if maybe a grounding wire is loose somewhere...

I can't imagine how one would have come loose, but anythings possible. at some point, everything that plugged into or onto the engine was taken off, so it's entirely possible. Do you know where the brake light switch grounds to?

Oh and the lights DO go out if I unplug fuse 3, so at least that works... laugh.gif

Update: I've figured out that the upper switch on the clutch pedal has to be depressed in order for the switch on the brake pedal to do ANYTHING. Apparently, they're related. Problem is, now pressing the clutch pedal illuminates the brake lights as well.

Anyone know what the upper switch on the clutch pedal is for? Obviously something in relation to the cruise system, but what? And why does it illuminate the brake lights when engaged?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2008, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

If by the upper switch, you are referring to the one that DIDN'T get wires extended so you could start the car only when you push the clutch pedal, that makes sense. The clutch and brake pedals must both be all the way<u> released</u> for cruise to work (no controlling the speed while shifting or braking eh).

Brake lights coming on when you shift: not necessarily a bad thing when you are getting used to driving a manual transmission! nana.gif

Keep tinkering, both switches should be pressed when both pedals are all the way up/released, and that should be the condition required for the cruise to work, yes?

Old 11-12-2008, 03:15 PM
DTN

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

you've definately got some crossed wires. Have you replaced any bulbs lately? If you put the wrong kind in you'll have problems.

Are you sure you didn't reverse pins 1 and 2 on the brake pedal switch?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:33 PM

DTN I haven't replaced any bulbs since LONG before I did the swap, so I kinda doubt it could be that. As for the harness on the brake pedal, I simply unplugged it from the automatic brake pedal and plugged it back into the manual harness on the pedal. I haven't modified any of the wires in regards to the brake pedals. The wiring is the exact same color and seems to all be in good working condition.

I'm just trying to figure out why the clutch activates the tail lamps. What you said, stocker, makes a lot of sense. And it couldn't hurt to have them illuminate while I learn lol, but after i get the hang of it, I'd rather not have it do this.

I'll have to mess with it more later tonight when I get out of class, but thanks for the help guys. fing02.gif
Old 11-12-2008, 03:44 PM
DTN

here's the schematics

From the symptoms you describe, you must have your stop lamp switch backwards or wired wrong

http://hmaservice.com/data/Passenger/HY/HM...NG/E27B338B.gif

Power is supplied from the clutch switch into the brake switch. If that power is disrupted from the brakes or from the clutch, it will disengage cruise control

I bet your cruise control works only when the brakes are pressed.

So I'm thinking that your cruise control system is powering your brakes.

Any way to reverse the connections on the brake switch?
Old 11-12-2008, 04:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

This happened to me right after I did my auto to manual/ RD1 to RD2 swap. I thought it was hardcore issues. Turned out one of my dual filament bulbs, had one filament break off, but only on one end, and it fell on top of the other. This was the crossed wire. Check your bulbs. Sounds stupid, and that's why it was one of the last things I checked, lol.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:25 PM
DTN

that wouldn't make sence for the clutch to have any effect on the brakes though. The stop lamps and the clutch switch are on separate circuits.

I think you're talking about the one where you hit the brakes and all the dashboard lighting comes on. Or you turn on your turn signal and the dash blinks with it.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:42 PM
Super Moderator

LOL DTN those are the exact same images as the diagrams I posted earlier! nana.gif