Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Boosting Probs( Help)

Old 08-13-2009, 03:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey hows everyone doing today?
i know this isnt a dsm forum but id appreciate the help

i just took my eclipse for a drive since it hasnt moved in about 4 1/2 months.
it seems that as the car starts to build boost it just sputters, bogs and pops and really doesnt want to go anywhere fast.
i'm assuming that it has got to be a fuel related issue. mods done to the fuel system are -6an ss lines,high flow fuel filter, and an aem afpr.

new parts
spark plugs
spark plug wires
all fuel mods have less than 100 miles on em

my questions
as far as adjusting the fuel pressure am i supposed to adjust it at the regulator when the engine is cold or hot, running or off?
also if the stock pressure is 43.5 psi how high can i raise to to try to attempt to fix my problem without creating more problems?
are there any other things to could cause this?

thanks in advance
alex
Old 08-13-2009, 04:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

When storing a car for more than a month (or three, tops, depending on who you ask & where you live) ALWAYS put Sta-Bil in the gasoline.

Otherwise, you can end up with bad gas. Open the gas tank. If it smells bad, drain it and replace it with fresh + a fuel system cleaner AND a new fuel filter. You may have gotten lucky and not clogged the injectors.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:14 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon, 2004 Kia Sorento, 2010 Kia Soul

Using quality fuel or some bottom of the shelf stuff? I agree, could easily be a fuel issue, I'd run some heavy cleaner and check that gas!
Old 08-13-2009, 04:19 PM

well i will only put 93 in it and i had put chevron with techron in the tank when i filled it i thought that would help.
and i have maybe started her up twice in 4 1/2 months
Old 08-13-2009, 04:51 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Tuscon

Shelf life on gasoline with ethanol is 6 months...it takes 3 months to get it to the stations.

Try like 2 cans of dry gas, if that doesn't work you'll probably have to drain the tank.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:52 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Tiburón GT

check your MAF. un plug it and it will probably bog and stall but if you can manage to keep the rpms up try to run it an see if it builds boost. my Tib does EXACTLY the same thing and when I un plug the MAF it runs like a champ. but when I turn the car off and then restart it, it runs like crap.

check the MAF and your primary O2 sensor. also check for vacuum leaks.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:32 PM

ill have to check for vacuum/boost leaks and the gas and ill try unpluging the maf and checking how it runs in the morning.
ill let yall know what i find out

also the primary o2 is pretty much brand new (3 months)
Old 08-13-2009, 05:42 PM

Vehicle: 05 Subaru WRX

Unplug your maf, if it runs smooth then you have a vac leak.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:19 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Vehicle: 1999 Hyundai Tiburon

I've stored my car over the winter months for 4 months before and have never had a problem with fuel. Its still a good idea to get that old fuel either used up, treated, or drained. New fuel filter may help. Does the car run fine off boost? Since you put new plugs and wires in doesnt mean thats an instant fix. I had a problem of my spark blowing out because the gap was too wide on my new plugs. Make sure the gap is set correctly for your boost levels. You may need to set a smaller gap.

Hmmm..... a wide band would help you determine is you are running lean and not getting the fuel you need. I wouldnt blindly raise your fuel pressure without knowing exactly what you are running. You shouldnt have to anyways if its a stock gst. You may have a clogged injector, clogged fuel filter, a lazy fuel pump, etc, etc.. IF that is your problem.
Old 08-14-2009, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2000 Elantra

If a car ran fine, then sat for months during the heat of summer, bad gas may be a good bet.