Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Boo

Old 12-20-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Blah, I'm back around probably and I'll be trolling the forums from time to time.

As a side note, still have the Tiburon. 106,000 miles, still perfect compression. Hardy litte motor. As you guys knew, I was at college, so I decided to take the turbo off. Tried to sell it here for a while, popped on and off, etc.

As I failed to sell it, I gave in. I put it back on, lol. Minus Unichip, annoying lil bugger of a system, which gave me many a headache wiring under the dash. I was bored, slapped it back on in a fbw hours, and it ran very well. Hooked up the wideband to it, and the A/F trims are beautiful even with the turbo on there on the stock ECU and fuel system @ 8PSI. Only gets hiccupy if you build boost too fast - i.e, WOT from 3krpm. As long as I build boost gradually, it doesn't lean.

So its on for now, even though I'm still in college, lmao.gif , and I'll let it break back in and take it easy on it until I can do some research on what the new "in" fuel management is nowadays on these forums.

So I'll be trollin around, givin advice and reading like the old days.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:32 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Volkswagen Jetta GLI

long time no see...

well they got the megasquirt PnP from KFX performance...right now java is working on that

also they got the AEM FIC as well w/single rail looks real good only a handfull of members have it

and well the smt 6 is still here w/dual rail
Old 12-20-2008, 07:50 PM

I'll figure out something. To hell with that Unichip thing though.

I ended up cutting out the ENTIRE wiring harness and ecu from my spare car and soldering in each and every single wire because I couldn't sort out what that damned thing had done to my ecu, lol. That was fun.

On the bright side, wiring in that new ecu gave me an extra 8 inches of wire to work with and solder under the dash, which means good things for my back. Although my back wasn't happy when I was wiring in the new harness.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:56 PM

i think working with the ecu is never good for your back...
Old 12-20-2008, 08:01 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

hey! you still runnin that alpine turbo kit? how is that holding up?
Old 12-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Still running the Alpine parts (turbo/manifold/downpipe, the lines, the piping (with a few adjustments). Pretty awesome little turbo they sent me, I like where it makes power. Turbo has no shaft play, manifold is pretty much bullet proof, piping was good (mandrel bent, coated... couldn't really ask for more). Just the fuel control of it didn't work well with me. I'm fairly good with wiring when I have a diagram in front of me, but the wiring diagrams they provided were crap at best.
Old 12-20-2008, 09:00 PM

you still running it un intercooled...if so why is that
Old 12-20-2008, 09:20 PM

Ye, unintercooled still. Just put everything back together a week or so ago. Most likely I'll cough up the couple hundred bucks over spring break and put together a nice setup on it. Toughest thing for me to manage is going to school two hours away from my garage - trying to graduate a year early in college and not be a dorm gnome leaves me little time. cool.gif
Old 12-20-2008, 09:23 PM

Vehicle: Hyundai Tiburon FX

that's really nice! it's too bad they didn't last very long... turned out scam artists. yeah i would have gone with one myself if mine wasn't DD. i also go to college and i need it to perform well. it's also the reason i didn't supercharge because it has a unichip too. how do you tune it, or where do you go to? i know it needs to be an authorized unichip dealer.

how can you pass emissions?

good luck hamhead. either way, it's a nice little system you got in there.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:36 PM

The big issue many had with Unichip was tuneability - it has to be done by an authorized dealer, and they are hard to come by. I had one an hour away from me though so I elected to give it a shot. From there, it works the same as any other piggyback. At the moment I feel like I need something more plug and play, something that I can plug in my laptop and get data on.

Alpine's superchargers at least I believe were certified to pass emissions. The area where I'm at no one really cares about emissions testing - I passed mine this year with a dead o2 sensor code that I hadn't gotten to yet, lol.