Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Bodywork (panel Removal Question)

Old 12-28-2007, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Tiburon

So i was sideswiped over the week of Christmas and this is a shoutout to any bodywork mechanics out there, Looking at this picture (borrowed from Tibbychick) the metal fender part around the gas cap door that seems to be one entire piece as it froms the roof and the other fender. My question is there any way to remove that quarter panel so i can reform the fender without having to drill a hole to pull it out or basicly tearing the whole skin off the car?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...bychick/14.jpg
Old 12-28-2007, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

Nope. I'm pretty sure an autobody shop will have to cut it out and reweld a piece in place of it.

sorry bro.

Can you post pictures of your car's damages?
Old 12-28-2007, 01:56 PM

Vehicle: car

word.gif majik. If there was, I'd be all over it, lol. Un fortunately you only have these options. Bondo, cut and weld, get a shop to try and drill holes and pull it out, or deal with it. I've got the same prob so you're not alone.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:08 PM

Vehicle: 97 tiburon

what ever you do don't drill holes in it man! try a unispoter it will pull good size dents out or take some of your interior trim panels out so you can push it out. It really all depends on how bad it is. To change a quarter you need the window out and around 8 or 9 hours labour plus paint time.
Old 12-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Pictures will come tomorrow when I am at my moms and its not raining out.

The dent that i need to get rid of is, if you can imagine a line continuing from where the rear bumper and quarter panel meet across to the front of the car. I don't think i can get to it by removing body panels. Ill have pictures up tomorrow.

Jack,
You sound like you did this before, can you elaborate please?
Old 12-28-2007, 07:14 PM

I would definatly try removing the interior panals and working from the inside out.

there should be a seam in the body somewhere between the roof and the fender, but it is welded at the factory and then leaded over, nothing you want to place with
Old 12-28-2007, 08:27 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Yeah, you need to beat it out, then beat it back in to a somewhat right shape. Then you use bondo on the outside (follow directions so it dosn't turn out like crap) to reform it. Once it's looking like a tib again, get it painted.

For the bumper, you can use a heat gun to get creases out, then repaint. If it's just scratches, you can use some rubbing compound to get some of the other guy's paint off, then polish it up really well. Check my cleaning your car DIY.
Old 12-28-2007, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: ǝdnoɔ sısǝuǝƃ

remove the rear speaker, then try to remove that plastic panel to get to the other side of the rear quarter panel `
Old 12-29-2007, 06:59 PM

ok so I got some before and after pictures from todays work. I got really really lucky.

This is the seam that everyone is talking about that is where they leaded over to make it look like one whole piece.

Before trying anything today:

Ok so I was already going down the lines of trying to get the dent from the inside

So I took the speaker out and took a look,

There is no visible dent from the inside, the dent is past where it seams from the inside.
Damn...that sucks...

so i got a rag and some deep creep, sprayed very little on the rag and started rubbing and buffing...

(2 hours later)

Some water left on the quarter panel.

Only the spot were the paint is gone on the bumper and the dent that will be looked at again.

Thanks for all the suggestions and the help, It could have been alot worse but then again it should have never happened in the first place.

4-26-09 pic links fixed.
Old 12-31-2007, 09:16 AM

Any ideas on how to remove said dent since i can not get to it from the backside?