Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Blowing Fuses / Headlight Issue

Old 12-07-2007, 04:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

Having some electrical Probs. First off I blew a headlight, so now my highs stay on no matter what. So i unplugged the other high. So now if i put my highs on (Both of which are unplugged) It blows the fuse which powers the left side of the car, IE Left TAIL, LEFT TURN. Also i don't know if this is related but my blower moter seems not to be working, Atleast that's what I think it is (Turn the heat on nothing blows)

I checked all the fuses, nothing is blown. The ones that did blow i replaced them.

DTN Any ideas?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:36 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Are you shorting out when you click the high switch, or are you shorting out as soon as you turn on the headlamps in either the high or low position?

You should not have your high beams on all the time if a light blows out. If you havn't, replace the headlamp.

Here's what I'm understanding. your low beam on one side does not come on and your highs are comming on instead. Every time you turn on the switch, it blows fuse 16 in the passenger compartment?

There's 4 fuses which control the left lighting system. Be more speciffic, color, location, numbers, identification like T/LP?

I went through the schematics and without being certain of the exact fuse you're blowing and the symptoms I cannot even guess if you've got a bad component, shorting to ground or another circuit. I came up with about 10 possible causes.
Old 12-07-2007, 06:55 PM

I drive with highs on if I blow a bulb. Less likely to get pulled over with highs than with one bulb.

As soon as you turn the highs on, which are unplugged, the fuse blows. Please plug them in and try it and see if you still have an issue.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:10 PM

actually you are MORE likely to get pulled over for using your highs.. not only is it extremely annoying and rude to your fellow drivers, but it is one of things cops look for when watching for drunk drivers
Old 12-08-2007, 05:46 AM

Sorry about that DTN I wasn't in the best of moods when i wrote that, Here is the situation. Also the heater blower has nothing to do with it, i tapped it with a screwdriver end and it started up.

1). If I have one High Head Light connected & I turn on my headlights ALL Three lights are on. Both Low's and the high Head light.
2). If I Have both High Head lights Disconnected & I switch the lights to High it Blows the fuse.
3). If I Have the High Head lights connected & I switch the lights to High it Blows the fuse.

Thanks for your Help so far guys.

I'll edit this with the fuse #number in a second
Old 12-08-2007, 06:57 AM
DTN

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'>1). If I have one High Head Light connected & I turn on my headlights ALL Three lights are on. Both Low's and the high Head light.</div>
Ok, what i'm understanding is regardless of weather or not your high beam is on, the highs come on, but they blow when you hit the high beams?

It's not really making sence.. but I'll give it a go anyways, if you could be more discriptive, i could narrow it down some more.

ok, first off, check anywhere you've worked recently. Look at the connectors you've disconnected, inspect them for bent pins and make sure there's no debris which could be causing the problem. The most likely place for this problem to occour is on the headlamp housing connector.

Check the connectors on the back side of the headlamp. The ones which supply power to the headlamp assembly. Look for frayed wires, or anything which is out of place.

Make sure you are using the proper fuse.

Make sure the bulbs you are using are of the right type, you can check the new user's FAQ for bulb information

Pull the high headlamp relay in the engine bay and see if the highs still come on. This will tell us if it's a problem with a shorted wire, or the relay

If none of that works, turn on your headlights and check to see if the high beam light comes on with and without the high beam switch being connected.

Make sure when you disconnect the high lamps that you taped the connectors. They can touch together or a piece of metal and short to ground.

Test your high beams with a ohm meter, or a 12V battery to make sure they're not shorted internally.

Does it matter which high lamp you disconnect?
Old 12-09-2007, 03:08 PM

Hey DTN Thanks so much so far!

Yeah if I turn just my headlights on then All 4 would go on.. lol. HIghs and Lows, Having the switch in the low position. If i were to push forward, and go to highs it will blow that fuse i mentioned. I don't know if this helps, but if I was to to turn off the car, the heater and Headlights stay on.. Even with the key out..

I tried a few new relays also, but i'm really stumped i'll check the wiring tommorow.

Thanks Again DTN for all your help.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:02 PM

HAve you done any wiring recently? Angel eyes, HIDs, anything?
Old 12-09-2007, 11:13 PM
DTN

From what you're saying, somewhere along the lines you have hot-at-on shorted to battery voltage. You can check for this by seeing if your headlamps go out when you start the car. Have you installed a stereo recently?
Old 12-10-2007, 07:19 AM

Nope installed the stereo 3 1/2 years ago, and haven't did anything since. I'll go check the headlights once i get off for lunch!