Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Big Starter Problem

Old 06-26-2006, 12:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 01 Tiburon SE

alright, well it started a few days ago and with each start its getting worse and worse and worse, it still starts but at the rate its going it aint looking to good, and i need the car running by next monday cause i gota make a long as trip and wont be back for 2 months 02.gif

ok, now what its doing, when i try to start it, its almost as if the battery is dead, the gauges and lights in it are dim and theres nothing from the engine and then after a sec it starts, or if i remote start its like... crank...................crank...crank... vroom if that makes sense

im 'guessing' its the starter? cause the battery seems to have enough juice in it, it hovers around 13-14 when running and off i think it was 11, not 100% sure and while starting it goes down to like 7.5 i think,

so... i have no clue, figured i'd ask before i get ripped off by a garage and what they have to say to look at the problem or how to solve it
Old 06-26-2006, 01:42 AM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

it may be your battery or wiring

7V is too low while starter works

check terminals on the battery

and maybe try to use another battery
Old 06-26-2006, 07:58 AM

Vehicle: 1998 Tiburon

Sounds like you need an alternator mang.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:31 AM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

I would say the battery especially since it seems normal (13-14 volts) when the alt is trying to charge the battery.

7 volts when starting is low.

Also, its not the voltage that the starter needs, its the amperage. This is why battery's are rated by how many cold cranking amps it puts out.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:31 AM

well, easy way to check. If you have another car you can borrow the battery out of.. stick it in the tib and see what happens.. otherwise, get a friend to give your car a "Jump" the extra amperage (if that is the case) should make the starter spin the engine over quite easily.

You can also take your car to anyplace that sells batteries and ask them to "load test" your battery.
Old 06-26-2006, 08:14 PM

alrighty, well been at work pretty much all day but got to leave early since i let a shop that i know just try a load test and switch the batterys since every other shop i called said they wouldnt let me even switch out the battery to see if it works or not, you try it, you buy it

so... turns out all i need is a new battery, its charging fine and everythign else 'seems' fine,

so hopefully it lasts till i can get a new battery, its still starting but it takes a few seconds, but its still hanging in there smile.gif

was thinking of getting one of those optima deep cycle batterys, but not sure which one, the red are the reguler ones right? blue and yellow are deep cycle.... but is blue only for marine? or automotive to, or is the yellow top deep cycle the only one they offer

and second off, what size? Oo cause everywhere i called they told me that my car has a different size battery then normal so im sorta lost lol, if someone could litterly post the full name or link to the exact battery and size that would be perfect laugh.gif
Old 06-26-2006, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tiburon

red is a starting
blue is a marine
yellow is intended for audio

and the way you explained your story, i would have told you it was just the battery.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:41 PM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Get the car running, and then disconnect the battery. If it stays running, you need a new battery. If it dies, you need a new alternator.
Old 06-27-2006, 12:30 AM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sparticus @ Jun 26 2006, 09:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>red is a starting
blue is a marine
yellow is intended for audio

and the way you explained your story, i would have told you it was just the battery.</div>

alright, which model though "D34/78, D75/25, D34, D35, D51 & D51R" still cant figure that part out :S

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (zoned019 @ Jun 26 2006, 09:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>Get the car running, and then disconnect the battery. If it stays running, you need a new battery. If it dies, you need a new alternator.</div>

so... whats suppose to happen if your battery and alternator are in good shape?
Old 06-27-2006, 01:03 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

They both can't be in good shape..you wouldn't have voltage problems and slow cranking unless the battery either 1. won't keep a charge or 2. isn't getting properly charged by the alternator.