Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Big Problem

Old 04-20-2005, 10:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

Alright this started last night and continued this morning on my way to school. When i start off in first (i have a manual) my car seems to have almost no power. It seems to go but then kind of dies. I almost need to floor it and get out of first right away to be able to go anywhere. Also when idling it wants to die also unless i rev the engine. I put a CAI in about a wek ago and I put headers in on Saturday. The headers are hooked up right but the 02 sensors are messed up because I didnt know where to put them and I need to go get them fixed. Would that give me a problem or is it something else. The car is still under warranty so I can jsut take it in if it is anything to serious. Would I need to take out the CAI or headers before I took it in? Thanks for any help
Old 04-20-2005, 11:03 AM

With the o2 sensors you could be causing MAJOR problems with the car. The first o2 sensor is what the engine sets the A/F ratio with. You HAVE to have that sensor in. The second sensor needs to be behind a cat or you will get a cel. Also with the CAI make sure the temp sensor is in the piping but I would guess your cars issue is not having the first o2 sensor in.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:11 AM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

BlackTib had a similar problem a little while ago...

http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=6849

maybe this will help?
Old 04-20-2005, 12:31 PM

Vehicle: 2000

Hopefully you bought a good set of headers with the O2 sensors already drilled, If now a local machine shop would be able to drill it. Personaly I have OBX, but there are 2 O2 sensors that go into the headers if I am not mistaking. Maybe one coming off of Cylinder 3 exhaust and then one near the bottom/end of the headers. So I would mess with the O2 sensors first, btw the CAI should in no way be able to cause that much of a problem unless you have a bog tied to the filter which I doubt you have done.
Hope this helps.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:51 PM

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (UltraTibby @ Apr 20 2005, 05:03 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The second sensor needs to be behind a cat or you will get a cel.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>
Not true - I ran my car for about 300 miles with no cat and no CEL.

But yeah, you need to get at least the first o2 sensor back in.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:51 PM

I know my CAi is on right and with the O2 sensors, they are both in. The first is in the pipe where all four come together (it should not be there I know)and the second is in the downpipe where the hole is that was already there. I know the first should be in the area where the second is but I figured it would be fine as long as they are in there and the CEL was because the second sensor wasnt after a cat.
Old 04-20-2005, 01:56 PM

Yeah 300 miles...... It will come back on more likely than not. Mine was staying off (when I had the test pipe) for about 450 or so before coming back on.
Old 04-20-2005, 02:10 PM

can someone tell me about the warranty stuff? Would i need to take off the headers and cai and put the stock ones back in? thanks
Old 04-20-2005, 07:51 PM

yes... if you go to the dealer to fix the cel and the problem is with the O2 sensors.. they are going to rape you to fix it with headers. IF they even decide to touch your car. If you had a cat there, you tampered with the emissions and that is a BIG no no.
Old 04-20-2005, 08:10 PM
DTN

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mad-Machine @ Apr 20 2005, 08:51 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>yes... if you go to the dealer to fix the cel and the problem is with the O2 sensors.. they are going to rape you to fix it with headers. IF they even decide to touch your car. If you had a cat there, you tampered with the emissions and that is a BIG no no.
<div align='right'><{POST_SNAPBACK}></div></div>

Mad Machine is right... You're better off going to a local place to get your CEL diagnosed. Or you could just put your old headers back on, play stupid, and talk about the recall you heard about on those fux0rz.