Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Big Obx Problem

Old 08-05-2007, 01:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: car

So I put on my PBX header. Between my exhaust pipe, and the flex pipe, I am missing about 8 inches of pipe. And the stock flex pipe is about 4 inches too long. What the f*** did I do wrong? I replaced the manifold, and the the flex pipe, and I am toooooo short. So right now I am running a header and a flex pipe. No cats or muffler. My car sounds like a Honda. Please help... lol

and both o2's are on, so +1 for no CEL!

But seriously, wtf? I am going to an exhaust shop tom morning. Please help!
Old 08-05-2007, 01:49 AM

Vehicle: uhm..... N/A

Here would be my idea, Go to the local parts store and get some of that flex pipe, then cut behind the resonator giving yourself the ability to mve the pipe forwards or backwards as much as nessicary, then put the flex peice in there. Dont cut it if you dont need too, just clamp it down and go from there.

Not sure if you have any advanced autos by you or what not but the flex peice should run you anywhere from 8 to 20$ the 2 and 1/2 in clamps probably another 5$ or so.

The other route of peicing your exhaust together which would be potentially bad if you didnt do it exact would be to get an amount of pipe you need and the couplers to join the peices of pipe together, here the issue could be you got to much pipe, didnt account for random inconsistancies like the legnth of the center section between the couplers and the pipe is too long, not a bad thing. But you could also get too short of a pipe in which you would just end getting more or trying to make the couplers streach more than they should.

Anyways, I would say either way would work, and flex pipe is mainly a temporary thing. But it will last a while, I said after the resonator because it would be the safest place to move the pipe forward or backwards.

But if not, pictures sure would help in this case... But here is the most important thing. If the hangers dont line up, have someone break the welds or some exhaust shops will weld new hangers onto the pipe.
Old 08-05-2007, 02:00 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Sonata Turbo

wouldn't it be the space you need to put a Catalytic Converters ???

since you removed it from the front of the engine you need to put it back further down the exausth line smile.gif

i would see it's as simple as that wink1.gif
Old 08-05-2007, 07:49 AM

bump
Old 08-05-2007, 08:43 AM

Vehicle: 06 suby impreza outback sport

same shit that happened with me but it didn't take long to figure it out. i first off bought a KORE cat-back and wasn't able to put it on cause the cat-backs made for our cars weren't designed the same so in order for me to get the cat back to work i had to get headers. so i bought obx. obx make their headers different than the oem, it goes down lower under the car and shorter. a KORE catback or one of the same sort is made long enough to reach the obx headers.

my best bet for you is get your midsection redone to match up to your headers.
Old 08-05-2007, 09:53 AM

Vehicle: 2000 tiburon

i used my stock cat with my OBX headers and it fit perfect, there would have been a gap if i used the test pipe that came with the headers, but its too loud and buzzy with that thing on there.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:23 PM

I am running open headers more or less right now, I have the header and the new flex pipe on. Both o2 sensors are on though. So basically my exhaust pipe is held on with wire, lol.

Are OBX high flow cats any good? What brand do you recommend? I am jsut going to run like this for like a week and make a custom exhaust I decided. It's going to be more money to fix it now and replace it later, you know?

Here's my possible setup.

OBX header - High flow cat - Borla Muffler.

You guys think I should put a glasspack in? I don't think it needs it personally... What do you think?
Old 08-06-2007, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: 97 Tib

Please, not ANOTHER exhaust topic talking about mufflers/glasspacks/resonators/cats/etc.....we have had SO many, just search dude.

As for your problem, what did you do with your stock 2nd cat? Or the test (race) pipe that OBX gave you?

If you don't have the cat or the test pipe, and you want a cheap fix, go to a muffler shop and have them cut you a straight piece of pipe. It should be like $20 max. But it will be loud, not as loud as your current open headers setup though fing02.gif

Umm, how do you not have a CEL if you do not have a cat installed? Just having both o2 sensors connected will not fix the CEL problem, you need to have one o2 before the cat, and one after the cat. Did you search at all my man?
Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 AM

I have a ssautochrome 4-2-1 header on mine with 2 o2 sensors both before the high flow cat.
Even when I ran the headers without the cat for a week waiting to get the exhaust work done I never got 1 CEL.
Now with the high flow cat after both o2 sensors I still don't get and CEL's. fing02.gif
Old 08-06-2007, 11:04 AM

I'm going to try and do something about it today... we shall see....