Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Big Debate....

Old 01-25-2006, 05:21 PM
http://www.hyundaiaftermarket.org/images/vendor1.png

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're sending off MAFs for free, you might as well send it to someone who needs it, not some tool ass Suby guy.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:25 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

hahahahaha haha.gif I love you man...
Old 01-25-2006, 05:55 PM

Vehicle: 01 Tibster

Actually, I think your friend is right. There's a difference between NA MAF sensors and turbo MAF sensors by the airflow they can read. The reason why MAF sensors are used as opposed the MAP sensors is supposedly they can be more fuel efficient --> lower emissions. However, once you get higher up there in power, almost all turbo cars change over to a MAP sensor. Going back to MAF sensors, if there's any extra turbulence in the airflow from a new intake, the MAF sensor gets confused and can't judge the amount of air. With NA cars, the air is moving so slowly that different intake piping won't really affect the sensor. Turbo cars suck air through the MAF so fast that if there's any deviation from stock parameters, you're actually losing power. When the EVOs and WRXs first came out it was really difficult for manufacturers to make an intake that made any gains. Just my 2 cents.

But, the melting sensor had nothing to do with the intake. Probably melted agains something else when he had to relocate the sensor.
Old 01-25-2006, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

no, at this point i have no doubt that what they say is true for them. Its when they said I was ruining MY maf sensor by having a larger diameter intake that I said they were wrong.
Old 01-25-2006, 06:24 PM

Vehicle: Elantra HD / 2007

Do Subarus use MAF before turbo or after?
Old 01-25-2006, 06:36 PM

Subaru's use MAF's before the turbo. SCC Fried the MAF because they used an N/A MAF on a turbo application, too close to the turbine inlet. Heat and vibration fried their MAF's, not any inherent flaw in the MAF design. I had a similar problem on my Alpine kit when I moved the MAF closer to the turbo to eliminate some "excess" tubing. Gee, I guess it wasn't "excess" after all!

As long as the MAF housing inner diamter isn't F-ed with, and as along as the "screen" to straighten the airflow is in place, you're groovy.

90% of the Suby Intakes I've seen (and I OWN a suby) remove the air straghtening screen/device and isntall the MAF in a plain smooth tube. The smooth tube allows turbulence, and guess what happens.... it's a CEL/MIL waiting to happen if you're lucky. If you're not lucky, piston's over easy.

The importance of that air straightening (restrictor as some people see it) is CRITICAL to the proper operaton of a MAF sensor. It ensures that the air flowing over/around/thru the MAF is an accurate representation of the air flowing through the pipe.

On the Beta1/Beta2.5 MAF's since the air straightener (the 'screen') is integrated into the MAF...we don't have the problem.

WAY BACK in the day, I thought I found the uber triple secret way to 90 WHP... I cut the screen off my MAF. Gee, my car ran like POO. The others who cut their Screens off... RAN LIKE POO. As soon as I switched back to a MAF with a Screen? Ran fine. Ditto for the others.

The problem isn't the MAF... it's the moron F-ing with it...
Old 01-25-2006, 06:49 PM

makes you wonder if maybe a turbo car could benefit from a longer "Straightener" right before the MAF to help cull the turbulance the higher intake speed gives the air flow.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:01 PM

What ususally needs to be done is more distance from the air filter to the MAF or more distance from any bends/changes in pipe shape/direction and the MAF. They are the biggest turbulence creation places. The stock air flow straightner's work fine, as long as you don't mess with em/remove em. For My Suby (2.5 Turbo), the device is BUILT INTO the airbox. So you can remove the MAF, and put it into a CAI of the same diameter, and you get CEL/MIL's and problems.

Beta's don't usually have the problem 99% of the time, but folks who strap an airfilter directly to the MAF still occasionally get CEL's.

Suby's are tuned more to the bleeding edge than the Beta's are. Especially the Beta1. The Beta1 has excess fueling ability built into the injectors and it's actually programmed into the ECU at WOT. Suby's are tuned more agressively, and don't have as much "room" in the injector sizing and ECU/WOT ECU MAP, so they are much more sensative to airflow changes. The NAIL in the coffin is the air straighening device is in the airbox, which is the first thing ditched when a CAI is installed. Without that, it's a problem waiting for a time/place.

The problem isn't the MAF...it is the moron messin' with things they don't understand, and "assuming" that if the company sells the product, it must work/not cause problems.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:51 PM

Toyota Celica's also have a problem with MAF sensors and after market intakes.... it doesn't have anything to do with larger piping though.... Toyota after market intakes generally have the MAF stick right into them and the stock tubing has 2 fins that direct the air to the MAF. The few after market intakes that have adopted those fins have never had any CEL's while most other's will eventually throw one.
It's the ECU being retarded.... not the MAF sensor.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:10 PM

If you look inside the Toyota airboxes...you'll see air straightners. They are needed in addition to the FIN's on the Toyota MAF. As to if/will the intake cause problems without them? Depends on how far the MAF is from the air filter or bends in the tubing. Some are made right, and the MAF is at least 12" from any bend or the air filter. Others are made....differently, and the MAF is close to the air filter, or directly after a bend.

The problem isn't the ECU, or the MAF...its' the Moron's modifying the air intake system with no idea as to what they are doing.