Hyundai Tiburon Forum The Hyundai Tiburon Forum. Get all the questions you have about the RD, GK, and FL Tiburon answered here. Find out why the Hyundai Tiburon is Korea's most popular tuning platform.

Better Than Oem Injectors? 1.8 Ecu

Old 03-27-2007, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Vehicle: 97 Tiburon Fx

In pursuit of finding my misfire I pulled my injectors today...

Error Code is 0304, and yes I've looked it up on Webtech. I've done the majority of the things on the to-do list, replaced spark plugs, checked wires, checked ignition coil, now the injectors. (Acceleration Sensor = TPS I assume, its a Keifco, so hopefully its good).

Being the first time I've pulled injectors, it was a bit of a process, figuring out how to do it, what needed to be disconnected etc. When I got the injector out and in my hand, I inspected #4 and found its head was cracked. Some signs of dirtiness near the holes, but otherwise it looked alright. I'm not sure if I was the one that cracked the head in my efforts to remove it, or if it was that way, and has actually been causing the misfire.

Then I pulled injector #1. Its head was cracked worse than #4. The cracks don't look dirty, and it makes think that I was actually the one that cracked the both of em sad.gif The other 2 injectors were fine.

So now I'm looking to replace all my injectors. Since I'm replacing them all, I thought I might see if anyone had suggestions for better than OEM injectors for relatively the same price. (4 oem injectors used, ~ $30).

Since I'm not 100% sure it wasn't the injectors that was causing the problem, I've decided to pick up a 1.8L ECU as well... I'll make a wanted thread here in a little bit, but I wanted to get some information on the Injectors. (the search feature yielded almost nothing)

Thanks!

PS: Shortly, I'll be looking to get a OBX/same header and flex pipe (2.0L). Just putting a feeler on if there is any out there for sale.
Old 03-27-2007, 05:23 PM

Vehicle: 1997 Tiburon

I don't see how you cracked the injector tips man unless you pried them out with a flat head....

How did you remove the injectors anyhow?

btw: I do have SSA headers/downpipe for you
Old 03-27-2007, 05:40 PM

Well, I unscrewed the rail, pulled a bit. Figured out I needed to undo the harness. Took me a little bit to figure out what needed to come off heh... I was convinced that the gray bit came off the black piece on the harness, but finally realized that you just pull the metal wire out and remove them with great ease.

I then popped all 4 the injectors out by pushing the rail. Then I removed the injectors from the rail. I tried not to do any yanking, but rather steady increases of pressure. I thought, if I cracked em, I did it when I was trying to remove the injectors without removing the harness.

If I didn't crack em, what would cause em to do that then? I thought I was just looking to see if the holes were somehow blocked.

Would a crack somehow cause a steady misfire?

Thanks for the heads up on the header/flex pipe. Would it work for an RD1? Where is the o2 sensor? (Hoping to have the first sensor on the header) Thanks
Old 03-27-2007, 08:23 PM

Location: York. About 2hrs from Philly and 4 hours from Pittsburgh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (enigo @ Mar 27 2007, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div><div class='quotemain'>If I didn't crack em, what would cause em to do that then? I thought I was just looking to see if the holes were somehow blocked.</div>

I'm kind of curious as to why they would crack as well.

When I put my 525cc's in, my one stock injector was cracked as well.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM

Well, picked up 4 stock injectors for $55.

Funny how it was cheaper to get them all on the rail rather than individually.

I'm still curious though how these injectors got cracked, and if they really are the source of my problem... guess I'll find out tomorrow (when the new injectors come and I put em in!)

Regarding the ECU... Any 1.8 ECU would work for my car right? Talked to someone from an salvage yard, and he was rather adamant that the numbers from my ECU match the ECU I was going for. (a 98 1.8)

He was under the impression that unless the numbers matched, it wouldn't work in my car. Even saying that he had 2 different ECUs (I believe both 98 1.8) with different numbers.

Never saw this mentioned on the forums... this true? Or should I just get one, and it'll work...
Old 03-28-2007, 12:02 PM

well there were a few revAs, but mostly and revBs used in 1998. I think the revAs will actualy work but not as well as the revB, i dunno i havent got a revA to try next to my B. There actually is some discussion about them in another thread and a picture of the ecu you want with the number realy clear, lemme see if i cant find it again.

I know theres a picture somewhere, i just cant find it right now. Anyway here are the numbers on page 5...i thought there was a picture on there also
http://www.rdtiburon.com/index.php?showtopic=5893&st=0
Old 03-28-2007, 12:22 PM

Thanks for digging up that thread for me LoonWolf...

I looked through it, and found this number:

063LHD
39100-23940 K07

But then the guy said he was having problems with it, running way rich, throwing CEL... LOL I wish someone who had it WORK posted their ECU # as well.

The one I'm looking at getting is 39110-23930... very similar

Grrr... I search more...

Well... compared some ebay 98 2.0L ECUs, and they are all 39110-23930 ... guess this means the part I was planning on getting (which was supposed to be a 1.8L) is actually a 2.0L ECU. Damn..
Old 03-28-2007, 12:29 PM

Vehicle: 2001 Hyundai Tiburon

also there is a federal and california spec ecu. they should both wrok fine but i know the yard by me had a couple rds and the 2.0 had a different number than my 2.0 ecu
Old 03-28-2007, 12:33 PM

As I understand, after 1998, they only made 1 type of ECU, which was divided up into Fed and Cali. There was no 1.8 ECU.

Seems like only time they made non Rev A 1.8 ECUs was in 1998 ><

Far as I can gather.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: N/A as in Not Applicable, not Naturally Aspirated

so was it your injectors?